31 minutes ago, sweatshorts said:

I would hope/suspect that there is an a la carte menu available at the bar eventually.

According to their website/Resy it’s the same prix fixe for either d̷i̷n̷n̷e̷r̷ experience

I’d bet after a month of not selling out some changes to that might be made. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love when Sneak and Seth have a conversation on here, I always think it's just Sneak talking to himself for 8 posts straight until I look at the names. Sneak, how much are cocktails? I would ho

I was a huge fan of The Beatrice Inn, so I also had to go just about as soon as it opened.  You have to book via Resy and pre-pay the $185 pp prix-fixe, plus tax and tip (you can leave the tip via Res

Liquid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I guess your “S” is a different color. 

Yes, different S color, plus I have a reasonably good memory for things that I've said (though not a great one, as my girlfriend will attest).

For a $185 four course menu I would have expected cocktails to be more like $22, so I guess I'm pleasantly surprised? 

8 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Their claim was that to produce variety meats beyond the obvious primal cuts a farm has to be certified on a cut-by-cut (or rather organ-by-organ) basis, and none of the farms they dealt with were certified to produce tripe. 

I have no idea. 

That’s all true. They probably shouldn’t have described themselves as “nose-to-tail” to FloFab. 

Anyway if you need brains, IIRC we got them from Ottomanelli’s (Bleecker St) for the Beard House dinner. Special order. They weren’t sourced from a family farm where the calves are raised on craft beer and spend their days foraging in an apple orchard, but higher quality than you’d get from C-Town. 

By that logic no butcher shop can describe itself as nose-to-tail as they can never get lungs, for example. The farms around here are almost all certified for heart, kidney, liver, and tongue but not tripe, udders, or brains. Some do sweetbreads too but that's more about slaughter age. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, Sneakeater said:

Les Trois Chevaux is Angie Mar's follow-up to The Beatrice Inn, located in the surprisingly small space on the corner of West 12th & West 4th, next door to where The Beatrice was.  As is well known, it's her stab at classic French -- although a few Japanese inflections creep in (especially on the cocktail list) (which I guess is pretty classic French these days).

Of course I had to go just about as soon as it opened.  I wanted to help fund Angie's parking tickets.  But, really, this is food I just love -- and I just loved it.

I was a huge fan of The Beatrice Inn, so I also had to go just about as soon as it opened.  You have to book via Resy and pre-pay the $185 pp prix-fixe, plus tax and tip (you can leave the tip via Resy too).  I didn't like it as much as Sneak did.

I was seated at the end of the bar, with my back facing the front windows.  There was a huge statue on the bar blocking my view.  As soon as someone got up at the other end of the bar, I asked to move (which they obliged).  I started off with an old fashioned.  It was fine, as expected.  The wine list is pricey, but not quite as ridiculous as The Beatrice Inn, where it was really difficult to find something below like $300.  I ordered by the glass - the Bordeaux Blanc and the Beaujolias.

First course was the pigeon breast roasted in ash.  Similar to The Beatrice Inn, many items come with a tableside show.  They bring out the pigeon covered in ash, then take it over to a carving table and remove the ash and plate it.  The pigeon was fine, though I've certainly had better.  This theme would continue with the remainder of the courses.

Next was the white asparagus with sauce maltaise.  I'm not sure how exactly it was cooked, but it was definitely poached in something, which gave it an unusual glistening, almost translucent quality.  I recall it was sort of crunchy, but not firm (if that makes sense).  Again - it was fine, but not going to win any awards.

The main course was Dover Sole with sorrel mousseline and "saumon caviar" (salmon caviar).  The menu describes it as sauteed, but I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate.  The flesh was very firm (for Dover Sole), and I suspect it may have been sous-vided or something.  For this dish they don't make a show of bringing out the fish and filleting it in front of you - it just comes out on a plate, already finished.  The mousseline sauce was fine, but not great - it really just added a little bit of richness to the dish and not a whole lot else.

A small salad course followed (by small, I mean like three leaves of lettuce), along with (finally) some bread and cheese.  I can't recall the specific cheeses they had that night, but I have to admit that the cheese was first class.  As good as you'll find anywhere.  Nothing was served with the cheese - no honey, jam, quince, etc.  Just a plate with three slices of cheese.

Dessert was a bowl of cherries and a decent enough creme caramel.  To go with dessert, the bartender poured me an excellent glass of Barsac that I didn't ask for, then charged me $50 for it.  It was so good I almost didn't mind.

My overall impression is that the food is not BAD per se, but it isn't even close to where it needs to be in order to successfully pull off this particular concept - ie, a classic, old-school fancy French restaurant.  And the value proposition is poor - especially juxtaposed against a place like Le Bernardin.  She could serve this stuff a la carte in a place like The Beatrice Inn and it would work.  But (in my opinion) it doesn't work here, for a $185 prix fixe.  Service and decor were excellent.

I would go back to see how this place evolves, but I'm not in a hurry.  I notice they haven't been reviewed in any major publications yet.

• Thanks 1