• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a strange choice of name for a restaurant: a state of obsession to the point of derangement.

Yes. Although I think they're going for a slightly less vigorous

interpretation (from their website):

"Junoon, which means passion, is the fruit of Bhardwaj’s lifelong

passion for excellence. ... Junoon delivers on the promise of its

moniker with an authentic, yet elegant approach to Indian cuisine."

I particularly like "authentic, yet elegant".

Incidentally, m_j, I think we know each other (virtually). Strip me of

my Food. You can run, but you can't hide, etc.

that's a strange choice of name for a restaurant: a state of obsession to the point of derangement.

Yes. Although I think they're going for a slightly less vigorous

interpretation (from their website):

"Junoon, which means passion, is the fruit of Bhardwaj’s lifelong

passion for excellence.  ... Junoon delivers on the promise of its

moniker with an authentic, yet elegant approach to Indian cuisine."

I particularly like "authentic, yet elegant".

Incidentally, m_j, I think we know each other (virtually). Strip me of

my Food. You can run, but you can't hide, etc.

Everybody knows mongo. We can run but we can't hide.

Besides the quality of the wine list itself, I loved that he wheeled over a cart and made a production out of decanting the $55 bottle I had chosen. As far as I could tell, he was doing it at every table. You hardly ever see that any more.

Besides the quality of the wine list itself, I loved that he wheeled over a cart and made a production out of decanting the $55 bottle I had chosen. As far as I could tell, he was doing it at every table. You hardly ever see that any more.

Think Bern's

Think Bern's

Yes, that's another place that does it. But at Bern's I ordered a $150 magnum of Chateauneuf du Pape. There are probably a few more in New York, but you have to drop major coin if you want the show.

Think Bern's

Yes, that's another place that does it. But at Bern's I ordered a $150 magnum of Chateauneuf du Pape. There are probably a few more in New York, but you have to drop major coin if you want the show.

Thankfully it's not price that determines decanting at Bern's, it's age. I was there in January and ordered a $49 bottle that was about 30 years old - it was decanted. The waiters have told me anything with more than 10/12 years gets decanted.

• 1 month later...

I never posted about it, but I had a meal here with two colleagues in May, and I found the food very bland and the horrendously loud music in the restaurant a was a real turn off. I can't dredge up what the music was, but it had a lot of drums, and seemed at total odds with the place.

The bar did look nice though, but we didn't sit there for long.

• 6 months later...

We have a Thursday night res for our anniversary. I’m becoming skeptical though now that I see no positive or recent comments. Should we trade for Tamarind or go back to Tulsi? Or another high end-ish Indian? Thank You

I've been twice. I still like the place. But you're not going to go seriously wrong at any of the three.