We have a Thursday night res for our anniversary. I’m becoming skeptical though now that I see no positive or recent comments. Should we trade for Tamarind or go back to Tulsi? Or another high end-ish Indian? Thank You

We have been to Junoon several times. Obviously, we wouldn't keep going back if we didn't like the food. All of the dishes we've ordered have been nicely prepared and very tasty. Desserts have been surprisingly delicious. If the coconut rice pudding is on the menu, I particularly recommend it.

Service has always been pleasant and professional. Many people don't care for the decor, but don't have a problem with it. I could do without the music, but it has never really bothered me.

To be honest, though, it's not the kind of place I would choose to celebrate a special occasion. But I wouldn't choose Tulsi either even though I like the food there as well. It's just that I prefer French for celebratory meals.

You can see photos of the meal we had at Junoon in September here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both. We love this type of food and realize there can be a trade off re the special occasion wow factor. Fortunately (sadly) we don’t get out much for anything near upscale so we’re easily impressed. Give us a corner with decent lighting, comfy seats and we’re happy.

I was pushing for a Mendes performance at Aldea but she thought the seats looked uncomfortable. Are they? (I didn’t even consider sitting in the dining room)

The funny thing is I find sitting across from each other the most unromantic and uncomfortable arrangement. I hate 2 tops. Even with someone I know better and feel more comfortable with than anyone on the planet I feel pressure to keep the convo interesting and reaching for topics that don’t come naturally. It’s not normal I know.

I view the kitchen counter as a performance we're not often privy to. Plus why would I want to jeopardize her appetite by forcing her to look at me the whole time?

The funny thing is I find sitting across from each other the most unromantic and uncomfortable arrangement. I hate 2 tops. Even with someone I know better and feel more comfortable with than anyone on the planet I feel pressure to keep the convo interesting and reaching for topics that don’t come naturally. It’s not normal I know.

I view the kitchen counter as a performance we're not often privy to. Plus why would I want to jeopardize her appetite by forcing her to look at me the whole time?

While I don't find 2-tops uncomfortable, side-by-side, or a 45 degree angle is much better, when you can get it. And being in a position where you can watch the kitchen can be fun. I wouldn't choose those uncomfortable seats for a romantic date, though.

For the little it's worth, I actually agree that 45 degrees (at a corner banquette) or next to each other (at a banquette) are better than facing each other on a romantic date.

I really don't remember the Aldea counter seats as being so uncomfortable. But my ass has A LOT of natural padding.

While I don't find 2-tops uncomfortable, side-by-side, or a 45 degree angle is much better, when you can get it. And being in a position where you can watch the kitchen can be fun. I wouldn't choose those uncomfortable seats for a romantic date, though.

Not to be pedantic, but you presumably mean 90 degrees. And I agree.

Thank you both. We love this type of food and realize there can be a trade off re the special occasion wow factor. Fortunately (sadly) we don’t get out much for anything near upscale so we’re easily impressed. Give us a corner with decent lighting, comfy seats and we’re happy.

I was pushing for a Mendes performance at Aldea but she thought the seats looked uncomfortable. Are they? (I didn’t even consider sitting in the dining room)

The only corner tables at Junoon are at the end of the banquette. They are two-tops, but you will be sitting across from each other. As for the lighting, it's pretty dark which made for poor quality photos using a point and shoot (sans flash, which I never use in restaurants). I now have a new, different type of camera that can better handle very low light situations far better without flash.

We've sat at the counter at Aldea, and I did not find the seats at all uncomfortable. Michael does not prefer counter seating, so we only did that once. (We were with Bonjwing and a friend of his.) There are two small booths each with a table for two. We've been seated in one of those a couple of times. Very cozy. Our favorite place to sit there.

Photo of Aldea's dining room looking towards the kitchen. One of the two back-to-back booths can be seen on the left.

While side-by-seating is nice, I find it just a bit awkward for making conversation because you have to sort of twist around when talking to each other. Our biggest objection to across-from-each-other seating is that too often, one of us -- and it's usually Michael -- ends up facing a wall. Yeah, I know he's supposed to be concentrating his attention on me, but still.... One of the most romantic tables we've ever had was at Jean Georges. It was in one of the two small alcoves on either side of the dining room, each of which holds one table for two where you sit side-by-side. It was like dining in a snug cocoon.

Yes, corners of a 4 top or banquet are ideal although less available. Roz, couldn’t agree more, the wall as a backdrop drastically reduces the experience for the poor guy (me).

Was able to score an 8pm res at Aldea'a chef's counter. We'll fondle in plain view and check out Junoon in a couple weeks.

I have a hard time thinking of UE as Bonjwing. Why did he out himself? Either way he should thank his parents daily for such a unique name (in America). When googled the entire first page links only to him.