we spent a few days in kansas city towards the middle of july. probably a nice city to live in but not a very interesting city to visit. the nelson-atkins museum has a very impressive collection and the jazz and negro leagues museums (housed in the same building) are good too though very small--and in the case of the jazz museum very limited in scope. if the kids were older we would have gone to a jazz club or two and maybe that would have been of interest too. the main reason to go, of course, is the barbecue, which is very good. but we also had a very good northern thai meal.

i've been posting reports on the blog:

1. trip overview

2. joe's kansas city (original location)

3. arthur bryant's

4. waldo thai place

5. city market and pigwich

a couple more reports to come.

• Like 1

I went to Joe’s when it was still Oklahoma Joe’s, and I thought it was astonishing. 

When people say stupid shit like that New York is developing into a barbecue center, I think they must never have been to Joe’s.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

St. Louis:  Ted Drewe’s.  The best frozen custard there is. 

Actually, Ted Drewe's is good but Kopp's frozen custard in the Milwaukee suburbs is better.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, Sneakeater said:

St. Louis:  Ted Drewe’s.  The best frozen custard there is. 

I discovered there was also a frozen custard place in Kansas that I went to many times. Foo's Fabulous Frozen Custard. I think I may have also had a chocolate malted there

On 8/15/2021 at 7:46 PM, mongo_jones said:

we spent a few days in kansas city towards the middle of july. probably a nice city to live in but not a very interesting city to visit. the nelson-atkins museum has a very impressive collection and the jazz and negro leagues museums (housed in the same building) are good too though very small--and in the case of the jazz museum very limited in scope. if the kids were older we would have gone to a jazz club or two and maybe that would have been of interest too. the main reason to go, of course, is the barbecue, which is very good. but we also had a very good northern thai meal.

1. trip overview

3. arthur bryant's

4. waldo thai place

I'm anxious to hear where else you went when here. One of my favorite places to go both as a resident and when playing tour guide is the WWI Museum. If you missed it, you really missed out. Not sure of yoru kids ages, but most kids are fascinated. WWI Museum

Glad you went to Waldo Thai. They are good friends. I hope you were able to enjoy one or two of Darrell Loo's cocktails. He is amazing and one of the dearest people I know. I can't wait to hear where else you went.

5 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I'm anxious to hear where else you went when here. One of my favorite places to go both as a resident and when playing tour guide is the WWI Museum. If you missed it, you really missed out. Not sure of yoru kids ages, but most kids are fascinated. WWI Museum

Glad you went to Waldo Thai. They are good friends. I hope you were able to enjoy one or two of Darrell Loo's cocktails. He is amazing and one of the dearest people I know. I can't wait to hear where else you went.

that first blog post covers all the touristy stuff we did. other than waldo thai the only entirely non-barbecue meal we had was at voltaire.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, mongo_jones said:

1. trip overview

3. arthur bryant's

4. waldo thai place

You missed La Maison de la Casa House.