If you are a T-Mobile customer, the company has a current promotion that can get you a 5G phone for almost nothing.  You have to go on the website and go through various drop downs and selections.  You can get a REVVL V+ 5G which T-Mobile sells for $199.00.  To get it you have to have an old cell phone that can hold a charge.  You have to open it and get the IEMI number that is revealed (you might need a magnifying glass to read it) when you remove the battery so that you can enter the number on the website.  You download a postage free mailing label and send a receipt and the old phone off to an address in Texas.  Then in a few weeks, T-Mobile will ship the new phone.  You get billed sales tax and shipping (est. $30).

An alternative is to charge the old phone and take it into a T-Mobile store and pay an additional $30 handling fee and go from there.

eta: FWIW,  it's an android

7 hours ago, hollywood said:

If you are a T-Mobile customer, the company has a current promotion that can get you a 5G phone for almost nothing.  You have to go on the website and go through various drop downs and selections.  You can get a REVVL V+ 5G which T-Mobile sells for $199.00.  To get it you have to have an old cell phone that can hold a charge.  You have to open it and get the IEMI number that is revealed (you might need a magnifying glass to read it) when you remove the battery so that you can enter the number on the website.  You download a postage free mailing label and send a receipt and the old phone off to an address in Texas.  Then in a few weeks, T-Mobile will ship the new phone.  You get billed sales tax and shipping (est. $30).

An alternative is to charge the old phone and take it into a T-Mobile store and pay an additional $30 handling fee and go from there.

eta: FWIW,  it's an android

the IEMI number is also accessible through the settings menu

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I did switch to this android phone.  Switching from iPhone to android is a bit of a pain and the android interface is not as intuitive as the iPhone.  OTOH, it's 5G wherever that may occur, it has longer battery life and a bigger screen.  So I'm either married to this for 2 years or I can pay some portion of $199.00 and move on.  After 2 years, I can make another decision.  Haven't tried the camera yet, but it may be better.

The phone is apparently made by Alcatel (are we still getting along with the French?).