NYC's Milk and Honey

I'm going to stay out of this conversation after this (probably), but I think this is one instance where an establishment sincerely wants to avoid publicity. If you try the number listed on the NY Metro piece, you'll find that that number is out of service with no new number provided. If you happen across other numbers on the web from other writeups, you'll find the same holds true. It's a very small, quiet, unpretentious place that happens to make the best cocktails in the city. They prefer to cater to a group of familiar, repeat customers, which can be tough in a space with only 6 tables, and even tougher when word spreads. This is a case where more publicity doesn't equal more revenue--due to its small size, among other things, the space is always full regardless.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I didn't post their phone number or address.

If Sasha doesn't want to be known, well then they would have to rethink the write ups they are receiving on the web.

I read it as a bit of more attitude, just because he can. After all he brags about throwing Quentin Tarantino out, banning his patronage.

Some of what I snipped out of the article seems to go against that grain of no PR, if anyone here bothered to follow the link:

I asked him why he was running a secret bar. He told me that it is their goal and their passion to create a cocktail that will endure time and become a classic.

A friend once told me that to be heard in a world that shouts, just whisper. That is exactly what Milk and Honey is doing. So if you are ever planning a trip to Manhattan let me know and I will whisper their number and address to you.

How can that goal be achieved without promotion? (Not that I'm trying to promote or in any way affiliated. I am not an interested party thereto. /end disclaimer).

I was simply interested in any of my fellow members of this lovely board has been, and what their experiences were as I, a bartender, would love to read more about this fantastic venture.

So there. :blush:

Geesz.

If you try the number listed on the NY Metro piece, you'll find that that number is out of service with no new number provided.

In that case I really can't understand SCS's post (unless the point was to let us know SCS is in the loop :blush: )

If you try the number listed on the NY Metro piece, you'll find that that number is out of service with no new number provided.

In that case I really can't understand SCS's post (unless the point was to let us know SCS is in the loop :blush: )

Not sure what you mean, Orik. My original post on this thread was merely in response to beans's. I found it ironic that after expressing his fondness for the place & the owner, alongside his acknowledgement that the owner disliked publicity, he went ahead and published this 'review'.

Never made a claim as to whether or not others had published working numbers, addresses, or not. Although Steven has indeed made a point with regards to this issue, which is correct--many of the numbers published over the years have been changed. The number is changing as we speak, from what I understand...for whatever reason--but after beans did indeed say that Sasha often changed it after unwanted publicity, I just wondered why s/he wrote the review after Sasha said that he would rather avoid publicity.

There is an implication here that Beans herself wrote a review. On re-reading I can't be sure whether this implication is intended. But the review she posted was just a copy and paste job (as well as link) of somebody's review from elsewhere. I don't really understand why this should be disapproved of.

v

Steven suggested to me that indeed perhaps beans did not write the review him/herself. This was not apparent to me upon reading his/her intial post. But in any case, this is more of a reference to the fact that beans attracted attention to M&H more than whether or not s/he actually went there.

Oy.

I'm a woman.

Second, I do not reside anywhere near to NYC.

Read up on some of my posts as they clearly indicate where I *do* reside.

Fuck. This was never intended to this sort of examination.

I'll take that into consideration the next time I wish to post about a discussion of cocktail, which is my forte, in the future. (something I have found prohibitive to participation on this front (even by myself) on this message board).

Remember, I've got much to contribute on the cocktail end of things and have fled to another board. Therein is where I find interest here. To interact, without those that tend to moderate where I cannot agree or abide.

edit to add: I do not appreciate being attributed with something that I clearly wished to discuss, and purely without motive (other than my own interest and enthusiasm hopefully shared by another/others). I've been railroaded and pushed into agendas elsewhere to place me elsewhere, by choice. Enough said.

'kay?

Cheers. And here's to happy "discussion."

Edited by beans
Steven suggested to me that indeed perhaps beans did not write the review him/herself.  This was not apparent to me upon reading his/her intial post.  But in any case, this is more of a reference to the fact that beans attracted attention to M&H more than whether or not s/he actually went there.

Reread my posts without assumption.

I never stated what you are asserting.

edit to add: WHEN I LINKED TO THE SOURCE??????? LIKE I'D LINK TO THE SOURCE THAT WAS ACTUALLY MY OWN OPINION.

THANKS FOR THAT ASSESSMENT OF MY REVIEWING ABILITIES.

:blush:

Of no less than a world-wide, bartender resource on the web. Not sure if I should be flattered or how I tend to believe attacked. :blush:

Live and learn in the service industry I say....

Go bourdain!!!!!!!

Edited by beans

I've been to the London one several times (Poland Street, Soho, if you ask :blush: ) and it is too up its own arse for my liking. Very small, very dark, tiny tables unless you are part of the inner circle and can get a booth. Upstairs is slightly better, more lounge feel. But IMO The Player (open to everyone) is much more convivial. and The Union on Greek Street is a much nicer members bar.

Member's bar? This is not.

You'll find me in the avenues of Lab to further my interest and craft.

So, why has this topic placed me so in the defense among this crowd?

Odd. As we all seem to be in the furtherance of the finer things of dining, and of life.

the one in London is a members bar (cost £250). non-members are able to get in before 11pm as long they phone up beforehand and get name on list.

FWIW I have no problem with anyone listing the address/phone number, I mean just because someone knows where it is doesn't mean they are going to be able it get in does it??

edit: to add Milk and Honey's website

No. That is where I attributed to his open interviews to a hugely. known, world-wide bartender resource website and another more worldly one as BestBar.com sponsered by Jamison's as promotion and dare I say, as a real, and palpable 'tude. [visited the Best Bars one before many a time to get a foothold, or read about my pal's immortality as far as it goes on the web :blush: ]

Come on, it is fun to say they don't allow x, y or z so long as some one is dying to get in and be a part of the experience.

Again, [disclaimer ON], not a part of my intent with this thread. [OY!!!!]

No.  That is where I attributed to his open interviews to a hugely. known,  world-wide bartender resource website and another more worldly one as BestBar.com sponsered by Jamison's as promotion and dare I say, as a real, and palpable 'tude.  [visited the Best Bars one before many a time to get a foothold, or read about my pal's immortality as far as it goes on the web  :blush: ]

Come on, it is fun to say they don't allow x, y or z so long as some one is dying to get in and be a part of the experience.

Again, [disclaimer ON], not a part of my intent with this thread.  [OY!!!!]

is this a response to something I said? :blush:

Re: this being in response to what you've posted

Yes. To a combination of the recent last of your posts regarding this as a London members only bar, however I was immediately answering:

...I mean just because someone knows where it is doesn't mean they are going to be able it get in does it??

Beans's initial post was clearly a link to someone else's report, and a call for other opinions/experiences. The heat generated on this thread seems the result of a simple misunderstanding.

So let's all take a deep breath, shall we? :blush: