2012 Olympics

I am much encouraged by the announcement of the IOC at the end of their visit to assess the London bid. The committee's very guarded comments about "the quality of the London bid", and their "delight" at the involvement of the Queen, sounded like the words of a gentle let-down. I'd put a lot my money now on London losing.

All the smart money is on Paris, apparently. Why not New York ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect London to lose, although I'm not sure I'd go so far as to read much into the words of the visitors.

I have no idea how the IOC works or whether this is relevant, but if NYC won that would be 3 games out of 8 in the States (1984 LA, 1996 Atlanta, 2012 NYC).

Guest Suzanne F

Oh, good god, I hope we (NYC) lose. I hate that mf Dan Doctoroff.* :blush: And I doubt the NYC government can afford to lose as much as it would, should we host.

*Sorry: he's one of the very few people in whom I can see no good whatsoever, and much evil.

Oh, good god, I hope we (NYC) lose. I hate that mf Dan Doctoroff.* :blush: And I doubt the NYC government can afford to lose as much as it would, should we host.

*Sorry: he's one of the very few people in whom I can see no good whatsoever, and much evil.

For folks outside the NY metro, Mr Doctoroff is the de facto head of the Olympics effort for NYC, a deputy mayor of the city, and a close consigliere of Mayor Bloomberg.

The uproar about the Olympics bid has revealed fault lines between the governor and the mayor, between the transit authority and the mayor, between NY and NJ, and among NY's all powerful real estate interests. The last, of course, are the most important.

There are a couple of problem with the New York bid.

First, the rest of the world hates the United States. That is to say, the don't hate us Americans, but they have a great deal of ill will towards The US As Global Superpower and, all things being equal, are not likely to support a U.S. bid.

Second, there's a certain uncertainty about the NYC bid. Though the city is largely behind it, there's significant, vocal opposition to the centerpiece stadium on the West Side to disconcert and IOC that white-knuckled it through Athens and are experiencing similar delays in Torino. The major Paris facilities are in place and (as Athens did just before they were awarded the 2004 Games) the French just used them to hold a very successful World Athletics Championship. I suspect London is being sunk by very vocal opposition in the London press, particularly Murdoch's Times.

Finally, the French just have more experience at bidding on the Games -- with the politics and the mechanics of the bid. There's leftover goodwill from the previous bids and IOC members who think, "well, I'll vote for Beijing this time, but I'll keep Paris in mind next time."

If you've any interest in following this process closley, Gamebids.com is free.

I don't want the Games in NYC either. The City can't afford them. I don't believe the bs about all the jobs it will create.

I agree with Suzanne about Doctoroff.

I don't want all that traffic and police clampdown the Olympics will create. Normal people won't get any tickets; they'll be snaped up by VIPs and bought by wall street or other business types at outrageous prices.

NY prices keep conventioneers away, not the Javits Center.

And the 2010 Winter Games are in North America (Vancouver, iirc). The doesn't help another North American bid.

Let Paris deal with them.

I say give it to New York and send a big middle finger to Osama. :blush: Also, the U.S. Eastern time zone makes it easy for me. :blush:

No one here wants the thing in their backyard. But the Greeks with probably less resources than the U.S. of A. turned out a pretty good spectacle. Paris will probably get it, anyhow. I wonder what that will that do to the prix-fixe at the three stars restaurants. Think Arpege will come with a special Olympic 1000 euro dinner?

I really want London to win, and my reasons are deeply selfish. I'm one of the many SE Londoners whose transport links will be immeasurably improved by a successful bid. There's been a lot of talk about extending the tube into the southeast of the city, but without the Olympics I can't see it happening.

The Olympics will improve facilities in the poorest parts of the city (ie East & South East). Unsurprisingly, the press really doesn't care. :blush:

And the 2010 Winter Games are in North America (Vancouver, iirc). The doesn't help another North American bid.

To counter the continental issue everyone seems to forget 2004 was in Athens. 2006 will be in Turino. Same continent. Same time zone even.

I have mixed emotions about the NY bid. One one hand I hope the city doesn't get awarded the games simply because I hate the crowds. (I do want to see the stadium built, but that's because the Dolans have spent millions against it, and the Dolans are evil). On the other hand, we would benefit from infrastructure improvements -- this might actually help get the 2nd Ave subway and several other transportation projects.

When the 2012 Olympics bid was first proposed, I heard a presentation on it by Doctoroff and Alex Garvin, in which they clearly said that if the stadium were built, it would be used; if not, there were other suitable venues. Only on that basis have I ever been in favor of a NYC Olympics. If having the Olympics would mean the construction of the Second Avenue subway, (which I strongly doubt) then it would be worth the inconvenience, but not if it were contingent on the construction of the West Side Stadium.

Please explain how giving away a piece of land owned by the MTA and worth $900 million will get the Second Avenue Subway built.

A stadium being built on the West Side has nothing to do with transport improvements.

Rather, I'm focusing on the improvements made by cities that have gotten the Olympic games -- better public transportation. Just look at Ms J's comments -- if London gets the games, they'll extend the tube to the SE part of the city. Therefore, my feeling is that if we get a better transportation system the pain of the games might be worth it.