• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤢🤮 There are so many things wrong with that. And the fact that it has kosher certification is the least of its problems.

Between this trip and the NOLA trip, I haven't dared to get on the scale. Great time at my cousins' house (menu is below).  My 6-year-old nephew is very small but has a big vocabulary already.  H

I am exhausted after just reading your menu.    And depressed that our TG is so soon coming up.    I loved 2020 with its non-family meal.    I think the kids may have had their double vax by late Nove

Posted Images

15 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I appreciate it, but pie is something I'd rather buy.  I'm not big on futzing with pie crusts.

I feel the same way as you about making pie crusts. So, I buy them and keep them in the freezer.  I rarely make pies, but I use them when I make quiche. Delicious Orchards, in Colts Neck, NJ (a short ride from our house) sells their own, 3 to a package, with or without top crusts. In the supermarket, Oronoque Orchards is excellent. Sold frozen. No top crust.  It’s been a while, but I think it’s 2 per package. 

Edited to add: I do make tarts of various kinds. For them, I use frozen puff pastry sheets.

Family finally brought up the T word, so I guess we're back on this year.    Kids get vaxed this week.    Several years ago I swore I'd cooked my last turkey but I guess I'm singing "One more time".     Question is whether in town or country.     And they've told both husband and me that they want an extended family get together early in the new year.   To quote some famous men, "OY!"    I keep telling them that I'm OLD but they aren't hearing it.

1 hour ago, mitchells said:

I’m not sorry to say that we’ll be in Lisbon this Thanksgiving. 

I hope you report back! I had planned to go in the late spring 2022, but traveling companion doesn't feel comfortable going that soon. If weather is decent in October/November, I'll try to go fall 2022 rather than wait until spring 2023. 

10 hours ago, rozrapp said:

I feel the same way as you about making pie crusts. So, I buy them and keep them in the freezer.  I rarely make pies, but I use them when I make quiche. Delicious Orchards, in Colts Neck, NJ (a short ride from our house) sells their own, 3 to a package, with or without top crusts. In the supermarket, Oronoque Orchards is excellent. Sold frozen. No top crust.  It’s been a while, but I think it’s 2 per package. 

Edited to add: I do make tarts of various kinds. For them, I use frozen puff pastry sheets.

My mother has been buying Delicious Orchards' pie shells for her quiches and pies for probably over 40 years at this point.  (I grew up nearby, and my parents are still in the same house.)  When I was growing up, they were the only available premade pie shells that were made with vegetable shortening and not lard--important for our kosher household.

45 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

My mother has been buying Delicious Orchards' pie shells for her quiches and pies for probably over 40 years at this point.  (I grew up nearby, and my parents are still in the same house.)  When I was growing up, they were the only available premade pie shells that were made with vegetable shortening and not lard--important for our kosher household.

My mother made exquisite fruit pies.   Crisco pastry.   I morphed from hers to an all butter crust.    Everyone swooned.    Good for them.   In my dotage, I stock commercial discs that the younger generation seems to find quite acceptable.    I love being able to anticipate a pie or tart or quiche in 20 minutes defrost time, and turn out a fine pie.   You may be more demanding.  

• 3 weeks later...

we visited a farm today and bought a heritage turkey, some sausage and mutsu apples. the bird will be for next week’s feast.

as far as the menu is concerned, it’s going to be half-traditional and since our hospitality muscles have definitely atrophied during this time, this is a good opportunity to exercise them. plus three of the guests are my hubby’s friends.

we have to nail down a few things like the wines, but so far, it looks like it’s going to be:

roasted butternut squash and arugula salad with tahini and lime;

roast turkey;

sourdough bread stuffing with sausage and apples;

cranberry sauce (from scratch) with gin;

green bean casserole;

roasted potatoes;

blackberry crumble pie from three babes;

triple layer pumpkin chocolate pie from pie academy, page 224;

chocolates;

coffee and tea.

E702B3D9-BBF6-40C9-8B89-799966E44F8B.jpeg

4971ED10-1FB5-45C2-939E-3DFAF09B8285.jpeg

002CBC8D-891D-45C6-8D62-7C05E9306725.jpeg

33792F30-61E4-468A-9BA6-6C06C79309CA.jpeg

822C04DB-E076-483E-99C2-00558D796703.jpeg

2A05CBA1-D3D3-48AA-A81E-71E03F581B1E.jpeg

DB70EAEC-569A-4A73-B892-28CA09C284F0.jpeg

7003EE3C-4C43-48EA-98C0-CB44ADA74EE9.jpeg

771FF088-6318-4533-8C91-FA25740250D2.jpeg

50AEA316-56AE-461B-8485-14E2202F37A9.jpeg

418603E2-9B66-4990-B915-212FA68C1834.jpeg

07B32F8E-702E-4F8F-A48D-C26BC2C64D3F.jpeg

i told that picky friend up thread “you have never complained about anything i have made in the past, so as much as you think pumpkin and chocolate won’t work together, you are just going to have to trust me on this one. if you’ve never had it, how are you going to know? are you psychic?”

and if he doesn’t like it, he can have ice cream. that’s our backup plan.

Tday = grandkids' birthday this year.    So special orders trump tradition.    Lamb lollipops (rack), mac and cheese, roasted carrots, stuffing, gravy (???), one lemon cake, one vanilla/strawberry cake.    Ham for adults.    Okay...

Last week, husband began a major furniture rearrangement involving the breakfast and dining rooms.    And necessitates getting rid of a piano which we've learned is impossible to give away.    But in the meantime, big furniture has been moved out of place into room centers.   Husband departed to the country to retrieve shelving for the breakfast room he's turning into a massive pantry.    I am wandering the house like the mad woman of chaillot wondering how I'm going to seat 8 people in a dining room that's been turned into shipping-and-receiving.  

Today I made and froze the 4 layers for the birthday cakes.   

This only happens once a year.    This only happens once a year.    This only happens...

• Like 1