Pre-pandemic restaurants worth re-visiting

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The waitress offered me a second glass and I was like, “NO I’LL TALK I’LL TALK.”

Wineboarding?

44 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

seafood corn dog

This is a corn dog made from sea food? Or this is a regular corn dog with seafood on it? I've been twice to the Minnesota State Fair, and pined for a small h-friendly Pronto Pup. It's a meal done in a bun!

Let me put it this way:  I thought about that corn dog all through the Lockdown (tonight's was my first since).

When I mentioned that to the bartender after he asked me if I'd ever had it before, he said, "You know what?  I thought about that corn dog all through the Lockdown, too."

13 hours ago, small h said:

I have never had a seafood sausage that I've liked, probably because I'm sheltered. But this intrigues me.

Chanterelle's seafood snausage was one of their signature dishes, but I can't recall ever talking to anyone who admitted loving it.

There are still farily serious supply-side issues, no? Not just ingredients [surely no one in New York would ever sub inferior ingredients], but the labour. Have we any idea how many line cooks and sous-chefs left New York and aren't coming back?

Also I hear restaurants are still distancing to some extent. When I dined at Pastis as the vaccine mandate began, I felt the tables were awfully spread out for a brasserie.

Edited: BTW Pastis was fine, perhaps better than expected, but the menu may have been even sparser than one might expect for a 'post-pandemic' restaurant. And it doesn't take a CIA diploma to cook steak frites. The crowd was -very- young [perhaps owing to pandemic?], and there were quite a few comely young women, if that's a helpful metric of our recovery.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Funny, not one restaurant in this thread I could possibly re-visit as I haven't visited any of them.

My dude, I've not even heard of most of the places Sneak mentioned. I have been to Farida, however.

29 minutes ago, Neocon maudit said:

There are still farily serious supply-side issues, no? Not just ingredients [surely no one in New York would ever sub inferior ingredients], but the labour. Have we any idea how many line cooks and sous-chefs left New York and aren't coming back?

I'm sure that's right, but how come some places do have full, extensive menus and plenty of staff? Are they just more successful? From recent experience I'm thinking of USC and Le Crocodile.