Pre-pandemic restaurants worth re-visiting

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The waitress offered me a second glass and I was like, “NO I’LL TALK I’LL TALK.”

Wineboarding?

If by 'USC' Wilf meant Union Sq Cafe, indeed, not everyone has Danny Meyer's resources or pull [I will note here that I keep checking, but Maialino remains closed, so Meyer may be able to concentrate his current assets]. And Le Crocodile is in a posh [for Billyburg] hotel and used to offer even more dishes before the pandemic [twelve desserts!].

I do have the impression that Le C has a captive audience of hotel guests.

I was surprised to see Si Chiamo open while Mailalino remains closed. I wonder if there's some problem with Maialino, because I think he opened everywhere else up.

Well the hotel kept Le C going even when there were no guests (and spent heavily on outdoors seating, although exactly a year ago it was still freezing cold) and their menu is shorter than before although still very long. 

I think everyone from Maialino found a job elsewhere so I'm not sure when and if it's going to reopen. 

The Musket Room has been run by ex-Annisa chef Mary Attea since this past January.

Also, I'll follow Diego Moya (ex-Racines) anywhere. He's seemingly now cooking at June wine bar in Brooklyn (and apparently working with the restaurant group that owns June, Rucola, and other venues, as culinary director).

45 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I got excited about the Musket Room under Chef Attea until I looked at the menu.  VERY limited.

I can go once and eat the duck with turnips. But then I’d need a reason to go again. Le C’s menu I agree is shorter than it once was, but it does change.

I am trying not to just go to Le C every week, but it would be easy. I haven’t had the duck with sunchoke and chanterelles yet.

23 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I think you owe it to yourself to try it.

ANYTHING is better deep-fried.

Is there anything I should also get? (You know what I eat.) Like, is the soondubu better than BCD? Thinking of going this coming Thursday. I'll probably be solo, unless I can get my friends who live down the street to come, but she's a kosher-esque rabbi and other she's a vegan, so probably not.

ETA: Hold the phone. The rabbi is in. I will report back!

WAIT!  FLASH!  IMPORTANT ADVICE FOR SMALL H!

Do NOT eat in the actively unpleasant dining room.  Eat in the quite pleasant bar/lounge.  Sure, you give up the barbecue that way -- but (a) that appears not to be their strong suit and (b) that shouldn't matter to you and the vegan Rabbi in any event.  The bar/lounge is MUCH MUCH nicer.