Mexican food outside Mexico

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Barca Jal

They have two other locations.

I haven't seen molcajete served at too many places, even in LA. The do have bigger ones, but you have order for two. And my mom had to have her chili rellenos this time.

I ordered the molcajete de camaron. 6 big pieces of butterflied, but shell on shrimp and one piece of chorizo which I gave to my mother thinking there would be another piece in there. They serve it with a thick bean soup and housemade corn tortillas. The tortilla woman is incredibly fast!!! She was getting slammed during lunch, but no sweat. I took a picture of her, but it seems kind of weird to post it online without her permission.

It's about $12.00 for all that food.

La Barca, Jalisco! It's the last town on the easternmost edge of the state of Jalisco, just before you cross the state line into Michoacán. Scream, when you go back to the restaurant, I suspect you'll discover that the owners are from that lovely town.

Molcajetes--the volcanic stone mortar (and tejolotes, the pestles)--from this area of Mexico are made in a tiny village about an hour from La Barca. The volcanic stone carving businesses are family-operated and the actual location of the volcanic stone quarries is a closely guarded family secret.

Molcajetes--the culinary treats--are prepared differently in every restaurant specializing in them. My favorite preparations are at El Gato Negro at the Parián in Tlaquepaque and at Mariscos Güicho in Chapala.

Road trip, anyone?

Love to do a road trip! We're hoping next year our travel budget will be better padded.

In a couple of weeks I'm getting a better digital camera, the one I have now is just a piece of junk. I have a great SLR but can't imagine spending all that money on film developing.

I want to blog about the great minority owned food businesses in LA. We have so much here. The "glamourous glitzy" hollywood image that makes it seem like we all look like we're from Kansas does not reflect LA's diversity. When minorities are represented it's usually a bit seedy, gang and criminal related.

I recognize so much of the landscape in these films. There's a scene in one movie with a shot of a Koreatown mini-mall in all it's neon glory at night. The characters drive up and take a freight elevator (clearly shot somewhere else) into a raging underground night club full of hip Asian gangbangers. Yeah right.

I know it's "only" media, but man I've been to London and France where very inteliigent people ask me about minorities in America based on what they see on tv. They have no idea that Arab-Americans and Asian-Americans for instance on average have a higher level of education and income than "caucasian" Americans.

I know it's "only" media, but man I've been to London and France where very inteliigent people ask me about minorities in America based on what they see on tv. They have no idea that Arab-Americans and Asian-Americans for instance on average have a higher level of education and income than "caucasian" Americans.

So many people in both Europe and the USA honestly believe--based on god knows what information--that we here in Mexico live on dirt floors, that it's hotter than hell here all the time, that all of Mexico is either spring-break beach parties or cactus-filled sand-dune deserts--and that everyone in Mexico eats either Tex-Mex yellow cheese combo platters or only beans and tortillas and is poor as a churchmouse.

In Guadalajara right now--at 5200 feet in mid-August--the temperature is about 70 degrees, the air is clear and breezy, hanging wild orchids are blooming under my grapefruit tree, and it's the rainy season (but it only rains at night, just like Camelot). During July, I heard both the symphony (Rachmaninoff and Beethoven) and an opera (Gianni Schichi), right here in the city. I'm going to an exquisite Italian restaurant for lunch with friends.

Oops, it's time to lean back against the cactus and pull my sombrero over my eyes. :o

What about the focus on "Illiterate, from the mountains of Central America line cooks"

Not denying the existence. BUT BUT BUT alot of my students are of Mexican or Central American descent AND they graduate with a fancy culinary degree. And lot of them have Bachelor's degrees in other disciplines.

We have to visit you in Guadalara!

What about the focus on "Illiterate, from the mountains of Central America line cooks"

Not denying the existence. BUT BUT BUT alot of my students are of Mexican or Central American descent AND they graduate with a fancy culinary degree. And lot of them have Bachelor's degrees in other disciplines.

Watsonville is closer!

Watsonville is closer!

Watsonville is closer, but Guadalajara--the Pearl of the West-- is Guadalajara, and just a hop skip and jump from the glories of Michoacán!

OK, The Scream and Chefzadi are coming down--you too, Tana? Rancho Gordo better come too, and Jaymes is due for another trip, and who else?

Fall is good...fall is actually glorious, when the lush green mountains are full of wildflowers, the air is delicious, and the food is even more delicious.

October, anybody?

Love to do a road trip! We're hoping next year our travel budget will be better padded.

In a couple of weeks I'm getting a better digital camera, the one I have now is just a piece of junk. I have a great SLR but can't imagine spending all that money on film developing.

I want to blog about the great minority owned food businesses in LA. We have so much here. The "glamourous glitzy" hollywood image that makes it seem like we all look like we're from Kansas does not reflect LA's diversity. When minorities are represented it's usually a bit seedy, gang and criminal related.

I recognize so much of the landscape in these films. There's a scene in one movie with a shot of a Koreatown mini-mall in all it's neon glory at night. The characters drive up and take a freight elevator (clearly shot somewhere else) into a raging underground night club full of hip Asian gangbangers. Yeah right.

Don't you dare buy without talking to me first, okay?

October, anybody?

I'm thinking about it......

October is probably out of the question for me. I'm going to Atlanta in November or so, plus a road trip to Southern California in September, and to Napa sometime soon, too.