Girl from the North Country

Our first trip back to Broadway, and a very moving and enjoyable show. Mare Winningham is awesome, as always. Robert Joy and Austin Scott were also very impressive. And it was to my advantage that I'm not that familiar with the less widely-known Dylan songs, because they make up the bulk of it. So those songs (unlike, say, Forever Young) have no associations for me - they got to be just a component of this particular drama. H & I had a lively discussion about whether this is a jukebox musical. My position was that of course it is, and his was, but Dylan. (I'm right.)

Probably we just need a way to distinguish the non-cheeseball from the cheesball (like Mamma Mia). If Adam Platt were a theater critic, I'm sure "haute jukebox" would be bandied about.

Exactly. Although linguine fra diavolo is objectively better than Mamma Mia, which is not to say I had a bad time (someone else was paying). Until the Dancing Queen singalong during the curtain call, which I found sort of terrifying.