i am, of course, kidding. i believe you all when you speak of sondheim's greatness and importance. but for whatever reason i am unable to connect with the american/british musical theater tradition, leave alone make meaningful distinctions within it. i've begun to think in the last few days--as i've been trying to listen to original cast performances of sondheim's songs--that it might have something to do with the manner of vocal delivery.

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I'm not seeing any more stuff by Adam Guettel (with whose mom we're told Sondheim had a "complicated relationship") or Ricky Ian Gordon no matter how dead Sondheim is.

Guettel is a weird case. He seems to have lost the drive to full-on musicals. Floyd Collins was astounding, Light in the Piazza very good, and diminishing returns (some amazing songs in Myths and Hymns too)... Latest thing he's done, the incidental music for To Kill a Mockingbird, well, I guess it's something?

I don't think Ricky Ian Gordon has been interested in writing for Broadway stages so much as opera. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:22 AM, mongo_jones said:

i am, of course, kidding. i believe you all when you speak of sondheim's greatness and importance. but for whatever reason i am unable to connect with the american/british musical theater tradition, leave alone make meaningful distinctions within it. i've begun to think in the last few days--as i've been trying to listen to original cast performances of sondheim's songs--that it might have something to do with the manner of vocal delivery.

I think I have precisely that problem with opera.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, plattetude said:

Guettel is a weird case. He seems to have lost the drive to full-on musicals. Floyd Collins was astounding, Light in the Piazza very good, and diminishing returns (some amazing songs in Myths and Hymns too)... Latest thing he's done, the incidental music for To Kill a Mockingbird, well, I guess it's something?

I don't think Ricky Ian Gordon has been interested in writing for Broadway stages so much as opera. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/30/theater/theater-musical-or-opera-which-is-it.html