Borough Park

My friend just moved to Borough Park, in the very Chinese area (around 11th and 59th I think she said). She knows there's a lot of good Chinese food in the area, but she's not really interested in Chinese food at the moment (background, she's from msp but has a HKG Chinese spouse and lived in HKG for 13 years, just moving back to the US in 2020 or 2019.  Spouse is now a pastor at a church in borough park, so they are deeply ensconced in the Chinese community).      

What other kind of interesting places can she explore? Any French bakeries in the area? When we were in Japan together, we loved hitting french bakeries together. I'm sure she'd be interested in the neighboring Hasidic area, but she's very interested in everything and everyone of all backgrounds.  She lived in Thailand for a bit in college and I'm sure would love to find a good Thai restaurant in the area.

Grocery stores, butcher shops, fishmongers,  restaurants big and small... Family friendly places would be good, too, as she has 3 children all under 12. I was thinking of recommending mekelburgs for a Sunday brunch, but that's not really close so wouldn't be a weekly outing for them. Really, any recommendations would be appreciated!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D. Collucio & Sons (a block or so front LaPera) is a decent Italian (with a Calabrian focus) specialty store. Nothing earth-shaking but a more interesting selection than probably anything else in

the chinese restaurants in chinatown are the only worth while restaurants anywhere near there as far as I know.

the best brooklyn thai restaurant I’m aware of is ugly baby, which is closer than the ones in queens but not anywhere near there.

if she’s looking for a butcher ends meat in industry city is an easy drive from there I guess. the dry aged meat and charcuterie are both very good. there’s a japanese market in the same complex and a neighborhood level thai restaurant that has some rudimentary cooking stuff for sale a couple stalls down from ends meat. good bbq at hometown bbq the next building over. in the same general area yaffa cafe on 4th was really good the last time I was there.

winner is the best bakery brooklyn I‘ve been to, but it’s nowhere near her. very good baguettes and croissants.

D. Collucio & Sons (a block or so front LaPera) is a decent Italian (with a Calabrian focus) specialty store. Nothing earth-shaking but a more interesting selection than probably anything else in the neighborhood. I used to trek out there just for their neonata, which is among my top ten condiments.

There are a couple decent Central/South American places. Sol de Quito (Ecuadoran) and Progreso (Honduran) - neither are destination restaurants but they’re solid neighborhood restaurants. 

To the East there’s a little patch of Albanian places - along 65th there’s a few, in the 20s cross-streets. And to the West there’s Bay Ridge with lots of good Middle Eastern options, of course. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AaronS said:

where should I go?

At least once a year we catch a flick at the Alpine ($7 matinees! And still only $10 after 4PM) and then do dinner at Tanoreen. Though the last time we went I think someone forgot to salt the food. Easily fixed but surprising. 

Polonica, for old-school Polish comfort food and five different kinds of Borscht.

Leo’s Casa Calamari, because sometimes a plate of fried galamah and a chicken parm is just right. Peppino’s wasn’t terrible either, as I recall, for It-Am eats. The Peppinos also own a reasonably-priced liquor store in the neighborhood (also named “Peppino’s”) with some surprising selections  

Le Sajj, Ayat, Iraqi House.

Balady for Middle Eastern groceries.

Coszcal de Allende was decent Mexican when I went, though not terribly different than many places in Sunset Park.

if you’re into trendy natural wines and such, Cellary is a nice well-curated shop with friendly staff.

Maybe Sneak knows some places other than what Seth listed, but I don't.  I play tennis with a lot of Bay Ridge locals and they haven't turned me on to a better than mediocre place yet.  Lots of mediocre Italian, burger bars & Middle Eastern places.  Of course, tennis players aren't exactly a good reference point for food, but...   Just to add that Ayat is the place Sneak was referring to ("the original") when he posted on Al Badawi.  It gets great reviews and the Maklouba I've had at Al Badawi was terrific the first time and they forgot the carrots the second time (still good & they sautéed up some carrots for me on the spot).  Probably worth a visit.   I've been going to Tanoreen for 30 something years and, although it still gets a lot of praise, I haven't had a good meal there in maybe 5-7.  Not bad, but always something amiss.... like what Seth said, but different each time.  Is Sancho's still alive?  If so, not a bad place to get a feel for the "good old days".  Sorta like an old line red sauce Eyetalian place, only Spanish.  Surprise... I always liked the chicken entrees.

We generally do our searching in different Bklyn directions and have been trekking toward Sheepshead Bay/Brighton Beach on Coney Island Ave a bit.  For Turkish, I think that Taci's Beyta has gone down a bit (still okay), while we've loved the fresh fish at Liman out on Emmons Ave.  Nargis aint what it used to be either, but I'd go there over Tanoreen.  However, our second dinner at Argo (Georgian) last night was fresh, different, ridiculously inexpensive given that its nicely done up and, best of all, good.  And its BYOB with no corkage.   Village Cafe is a Ukrainian diner with better than decent food, free parking and BYOB (they own the liquor store next door).

Just my Thursday morning ramblings.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, prasantrin said:

My friend just moved to Borough Park, in the very Chinese area (around 11th and 59th I think she said). She knows there's a lot of good Chinese food in the area, but she's not really interested in Chinese food at the moment (background, she's from msp but has a HKG Chinese spouse and lived in HKG for 13 years, just moving back to the US in 2020 or 2019.  Spouse is now a pastor at a church in borough park, so they are deeply ensconced in the Chinese community).      

What other kind of interesting places can she explore? Any French bakeries in the area? When we were in Japan together, we loved hitting french bakeries together. I'm sure she'd be interested in the neighboring Hasidic area, but she's very interested in everything and everyone of all backgrounds.  She lived in Thailand for a bit in college and I'm sure would love to find a good Thai restaurant in the area.

Grocery stores, butcher shops, fishmongers,  restaurants big and small... Family friendly places would be good, too, as she has 3 children all under 12. I was thinking of recommending mekelburgs for a Sunday brunch, but that's not really close so wouldn't be a weekly outing for them. Really, any recommendations would be appreciated!

getting back to your original question, I think that Villabate (18th Ave/70th St) is still the glitzy Italian bakery to go see, sample and buy pastries from.  And I fondly remember Lioni's for hero sandwiches (15th Ave/78th St).  Both have websites.  And tell her to take the kids to the Dyker Heights Xmas lights, where the entire neighborhood is alive.  She's really close.