Borough Park

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D. Collucio & Sons (a block or so front LaPera) is a decent Italian (with a Calabrian focus) specialty store. Nothing earth-shaking but a more interesting selection than probably anything else in

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

The 2 we always went to were New Corners & Tomasso's.  Both are now gone.

10 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Are you thinking of Michael's of Brooklyn?  That's somewhere else.

Ahhh - right -  I was thinking of Colandrea New Corner.

I think Cozcal de Allende is a cut -- several cuts, actually -- above the run of Sunset Park places.  The cooking is better, more precise.  The tortillas are nuts.  And none of the Sunset Park places (indeed no other NYC Mexican) has such a good (albeit concise) wine program.  To tell the truth, this is my current favorite Mexican spot in NYC.

Amuni (among others) (although fewer others than before) for Sicilian.

Leske's Bakery, although not perhaps what it was, has what may be the best Danish in NYC.

And, in neighboring Gravesend, Joe's of Avenue U, which while not as atmospheric a focacceria as my deeply beloved Ferdinando's, has a broader selection.

4 hours ago, Steve R. said:

they haven't turned me on to a better than mediocre place yet.  Lots of mediocre Italian, burger bars & Middle Eastern places.

Oh don’t get me wrong - many of the places I listed are mediocre. With the exception of Tanoreen and perhaps Le Sajj none are destinations. They’re just neighborhood places that most would be happy enough to have in their neighborhood. Comfortably mediocre can be fine when you don’t feel like cooking but also don’t feel like going terribly far.

11 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I think Cozcal de Allende is a cut -- several cuts, actually -- above the run of Sunset Park places.  The cooking is better, more precise.  The tortillas are nuts.  And none of the Sunset Park places (indeed no other NYC Mexican) has such a good (albeit concise) wine program.  To tell the truth, this is my current favorite Mexican spot in NYC.

Amuni (among others) (although fewer others than before) for Sicilian.

Leske's Bakery, although not perhaps what it was, has what may be the best Danish in NYC.

And, in neighboring Gravesend, Joe's of Avenue U, which while not as atmospheric a focacceria as my deeply beloved Ferdinando's, has a broader selection.

If we’re stretching out to Gravesend, I’ll second Joe’s. Clemente Fine Foods and John’s Deli both make solid roast beef n’ mutz. And Mtskheta Cafe for Georgian, despite the wine list comprised entirely of plonk that would taste sub-par at a gallery opening. Particularly fond of their kuchmachi, which is like chicken salad made of gizzards and hearts and other whatnots. 

so there's a bunch of mediocre places? my experience is much like steve's. I'm surprised the szechuan place lex liked hasn't been mentioned. 

I do know about tanoreen and am actually looking to go to schnitzel haus soonish. I'll try the mexican place sneak recommends.

That Szechuan place was actually quite good.  Went thru several changes over the years, but always kept their core product at a high level.  When all the good places opened in Manhattan & I got to Flushing regularly, trekking out to 87th St for a storefront place sort of slipped thru the cracks.  Wonder if it’s still there.

eta: map says it’s still there.  5th Ave off 87th.  Grand Sichuan House.

I lost my topic! But now it is found, so thank you all for your recommendations! 

I am making a list to send get, and will report back when she tries them. 

I did recommend dumpling house on 8th which I think Daniel mentioned before. She said she went, but it's gone now with another restaurant in its place. 

She mentioned stumbling on an Italian provisions store. Maybe it was the D. Collucio & Sons @Seth Gordon mentioned. 

LaPera is definitely on my list for her. I think it came up on my initial search from another time @joethefoodie posted about it. I wish I had a place like that near me! 

they do have a vehicle, so industry city, bay ridge, and other areas are definitely do-able. I'm sure she'd enjoy the Japanese market in industry city a lot, even if it's not very big. We were just talking about how much we missed Japan, and how nowhere she has lived since then has felt as much like home (other than Minneapolis, which is her home lol).    

I'll probably direct her further afield to New Jersey and Mitsuwa to get her Japanese fix eventually!   

thanks again, and I'll let you know what and where she ends up! 

She could definitely get there then! Lately, she's been trying to walk around to get herself acclimated. I sent her the entire list (i occasionally got confused as to which neighborhood certain places were in, but I think I got it mostly right), and she was very thankful. Turns out D. Collucio was the Italian place she had stumbled upon, and it's right around the corner from their house.  And the Christmas lights at Dyker Heights are definitely on her list. They're hoping to take the girls out soon. It's her husband's busy time at work, so they may not make it this year as a family, but hopefully at least she and the girls can go!

• 3 weeks later...