Restaurant Criticism

To stir the sizzling pot, I just read Alex Ross writing about some visceral and loud music installation in The New Yorker (oh he stood by the speaker stack and felt it in his belly), and my reaction was, he may know a lot but does he know Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle or Cabaret Voltaire? Because good or bad, it’s not new.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/ash-fures-hive-rise-is-a-visceral-experience-in-sound/amp

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's got enough ink already, it seems to me. I'll show myself out.

OK, let me try this. Let’s say someone is walking down the street in Brooklyn in August, and they see a guy in a strange archaic wool gabardine outfit (even though it’s high summer), with a furry

I've survived this long. And I'm fine with it. So there we are.

Posted Images

It should at least give an indication that she knows there’s such a thing as Chasids, and that this was different from a typical (I’m loathe to say “normal”) Chasid ceremony. 

As I said, most of the complaints in that blog post could be lodged against most restaurants of this type (which include some of the most highly lauded in the world—not that I agree with that). 

17 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

To stir the sizzling pot, I just read Alex Ross writing about some visceral and loud music installation in The New Yorker (oh he stood by the speaker stack and felt it in his belly), and my reaction was, he may know a lot but does he know Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle or Cabaret Voltaire? Because good or bad, it’s not new.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/ash-fures-hive-rise-is-a-visceral-experience-in-sound/amp

I don’t know about Alex Ross in particular, but my big complaint about music critics—and the basis of my whole current mission—is that the classical critics tend not to know enough about vernacular music, and the vernacular critics tend not to know enough about classical.   Which is, crucially, nowhere near as true of creators.

That apparent gap is, in fact, the only reason I have had the temerity to try to insert myself into (what is left of) the field. 

44 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

As I said, most of the complaints in that blog post could be lodged against most restaurants of this type (which include some of the most highly lauded in the world—not that I agree with that). 

As I’ve oddly had multiple occasions to say to people, it’s fine not to like Shakespeare.  Nobody HAS to like Shakespeare.  

But if you don’t, you have to acknowledge that it’s SHAKESPEARE you’re not liking.  You can’t come off like you’ve just detected fatal flaws in this random writer.