Then Vegas will be $300 easy. And everyone with a comp will be happy to order it (and a bottle of whatever nasty, overrated, overpriced cabernet the sommelier recommends) to stick it to 'the man', while thinking about $100K in markers they owe the house 😁

The meat at Luger's is good.  But -- unlike in Luger's heyday -- the meat is no better (and indeed may be a little worse) than what you can now get at countless real restaurants that have good (as opposed to abysmal) wine programs, good sides and appetizers, good service, and ambiances that aren't some Disneyland audioanimatronic version what New York restaurants used to be like a hundred and fifty years ago.

I still like going to Luger's on occasion -- the way I used to like going to Sammy's on occasion.  But it's no longer anything approaching necessary.  I can now get great steak -- often better than what Luger's gets from its mainstream suppliers -- elsewhere without the mishegas.

• Like 1

(That might sound like a rehash of Pete Wells's famous pan of a couple of years ago.  But I think Wells fell victim to the tendency to find nonexistent [new] flaws to justify his downgrading of Luger's, when the problem isn't that Luger's got worse but rather that other places got [a lot] better.)

30 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

...he problem isn't that Luger's got worse but rather that other places got [a lot] better.)

True for a preponderance of mid-late century kitchens.    Add increasingly experienced/demanding diners.  

I had it just before the original red hook tavern chef left and didn't like it that much, which is also how I felt about the similar one she was serving at lot2. I'll probably revisit the lot2 one sooner rather than later.