15 hours ago, Steve R. said:

That’s clearly been the problem with all 3 of the chef rotations thru there to date.

We were loyal patrons of the original in Paris and found the cooking/dish conception quite uneven.   But we returned at least once every visit because of the welcome and infectious enthusiasm of the principals.    Always an excellent evening if not the finest meal.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had one of those lessons in 7th grade. I was called up to the front and presented with a NYTimes (I guess because the teacher assumed I'd not be familiar with such a sophisticated paper). She start

keep buying lotto tickets

Roman's Yacht, 2023  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GerryOlds said:

Disappointed to hear that Fulgurances is not very good! I guess the guest chef thing is harder when you don't have car company funding.

I do like the looks of this new spot, which is apparently just a tenant of (not affiliated with) the hotel.

As for Blamey, a friend had nothing but good things to say about her Stone Barns residency.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend not going (how's that for a double negative?).  After all, my mediocre review was based on 4 visits to date, which wouldn't have happened if it "wasn't very good".  Its just not as good as it should be and has left me wanting a bit more each time.  And that includes the wine pairings, which are also "okay", nothing more (or less).  However, each evening has been fine, as I'm not looking for superstars, just worthwhile dining experiences.  The room is nice, the staff friendly, all food is from good ingredients, prepared very well and tasty, and its been a plus to sit at the kitchen counter, watching the show.  As Sneak said (& as much as I worry when we're in agreement), its probably more to do with the budget that these chefs are given & less about what they could create if given more.

By the way, what "hotel"?  Are you sure you have the correct location?  They renovated a local storefront laundromat and are in a small building with a couple of residential floors above - I think.

• 2 months later...

“But there are also dishes that seem to have nothing to do with Chile — for instance, a chou farci. It is not the usual steaming bundle of cabbage and meat but a sort of circular napoleon made by sandwiching leaves of cabbage and other greens between layers of stunningly flavorful, lime-scented scallop mousse that has attained the feathery solidity of panna cotta. Ringed by a froth of vin jaune sauce, it plays like a lost classic of nouvelle cuisine.”

reads like three stars

52 minutes ago, Diancecht said:

“But there are also dishes that seem to have nothing to do with Chile — for instance, a chou farci.”

reads like three stars

I think Pete needs to do some reading on Chilean cuisine. Niños Envueltos are totally a thing there.

For God's sake stop thinking in terms of stars.  They're gone.  And they were offensive and demeaning to begin with.

The Times is trying to correct that epic insult to restaurants, food culture, its readers, and its writers.  We should go along with them.

• Like 1

The insult isn’t “making a judgment about service and food”. That’s what reviews DO. 

It’s thinking you can encapsulate comparitive judgments in crude numerical ratings.