Is there truly a worldwide network of servers "mining" cryptocurrency (with adverse environmental effects)?  If so, why?  If not, is this all part of a huge bubble?  And what is Damon's cut?

What's really confusing is that the mining takes place in server farms, which I understand are farmed by terrible waiters who can prove they have zero knowledge of today's menu. 

It seems like they must have hired a publicist because there are mainstream news outlets carrying a story about how the servers mining cryptocurrency in Texas were being "shut down" to reduce demand on the grid during the current bout of winter weather.

I was in Texas recently.  That whole grid business seems to be the source of considerable disagreement.  I had read that Texas had not winterized the grid despite recommendations that it do so.  Yet folks on the ground were trying to tell me the grid had been winterized.  The weather was mild so I don't see a test coming up yet, but you never know.

Oops, looks like a cold snap just hit North Central Texas.