Restaurants and the Business of Hospitality

22 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I do think that if you're seated as  a walk-in, the restaurant has every right to tell you that you have to be out before an upcoming reservation.

But a third time:  do it NICELY.

Exactly. And to be clear the hostess in our instance informed us of the time they needed the table back BEFORE we were seated. It seems Joe's situation was different.  Again, in my case it was fine. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazingly it's even worse without it!

I was once told  "If you say 'no problem' to something it implies you are inconvenienced by it, and that it actually is a problem"  

I read this very quickly and at first thought you were being offered a seat IN the walk-in.

It's said disappointment is a function of expectation.  I have frequently had reservationists advise me that we will have a table for 90 to 120 minutes.    No problem.    But as in most discourse, it is the wording and tone of voice that causes you to bristle.  

There are ways to make customers feel welcome, even if you believe you might need their seats for a reservation after an hour and a half or so.

What was actually great was that it was kinda obvious the person waiting on us and running the bar didn't give a shit about a waiting party, as she just kept bringing over more booze as our time expired. And if you saw the people waiting for seats, you'd understand.

• Like 1

Totally agree. My additional complaint is when someone is doing a 'normal' part of their job, and I thank them. Do NOT say 'no problem". FFS. It's a part of your job. Drives me nuts. Just nod. Or if you're feeling up to it 🙄, nod.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Evelyn said:

Totally agree. My additional complaint is when someone is doing a 'normal' part of their job, and I thank them. Do NOT say 'no problem". FFS. It's a part of your job. Drives me nuts. Just nod. Or if you're feeling up to it 🙄, nod.

Yeah - did the words "you're welcome" leave the lexicon?

Jobs and Woz screwed us good.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Evelyn said:

I was once told  "If you say 'no problem' to something it implies you are inconvenienced by it, and that it actually is a problem"

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(Which may be another way of saying "I wish I were Israeli" -- a sentiment I never thought I'd ever utter.)

I'm a bad Israeli and it's hard for me to do this, but then I remember how much I dislike having a bad meal.

15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I do think that if you're seated as a walk-in, the restaurant has every right to tell you that you have to be out before an upcoming reservation.

But a third time:  do it NICELY.

I read this very quickly and at first thought you were being offered a seat IN the walk-in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Orik said:

I'm a bad Israeli and it's hard for me to do this, but then I remember how much I dislike having a bad meal.

Especially one that costs a couple hundred bucks.  I'll suffer through a bad slice if that's what Joe's happens to send out...

11 hours ago, Evelyn said:

"No problem" is infuriating.   And twice so when the person saying it is really a good worker, pleasant, etc and simply knows no better.   The decline of civilization...   😒

• Like 1