Ooh la la! I like the sounds of the chukandar gosht recipe.

I think my problem in the past has been that I've thought of beets as just beets. I've never really put them together with anything else. I've roasted them or cooked and sliced them and tossed with a vinaigrette, but that's it. I like the idea of having them in another dish with something else as the main ingredient. Not sure why that never occurred to me. :blush:

And I've never cooked beet greens. I've cooked most other greens--chard, mustard, etc., but for some reason never beet greens. I feel beet green impaired and am not sure why.

I may have a deep-seated fear of purple stains. :blush:

Iraqi Kibbeh Soup

For the kibbeh dough:

1 lb semolina

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 tbsp white flour

2oz butter

1 slice white bread

salt

pepper

3/4 cup chicken stock

For the kibbeh stuffing:

1lb ground beef

2 medium onions, chopped

1.5 cups boiling chicken stock

a pinch of baharat (english?)

salt

pepper

For the soup:

1 large onion, chopped

12 cups chicken soup

1 large beet

1 turnip

5 chopped celery stalks

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1/2 cup chopped parsley

6 large beet leaves/stalks, chopped

3 tbsp tomato paste

6 cloves garlic

1 tbsp sugar (if tomato paste isn't too sweet)

1 large lemon

1/2 cup boiling water

To make the kibbeh stuffing, fry onion until golden, add the meat and brown, add soup and cook, covered until soup has evaporated. Add salt, pepper and baharat

Soak the bread in water and strain. Work with semolina, oil, flour and butter, add stock to make dough. Form apricot sized balls from the dough, cover with damp cloth.

Wet hands, form dent in each dough ball, stuff with meat mixture, pinch closed and work back into smooth ball.

To make the soup - in a large pot, brown the onion, add chicken soup, add peeled and sliced beet and turnip and the chopped herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, add sugar dissolved in water if needed and squeeze lemon into soup.

Add the kibbeh and cook at a gentle boil for 45 minutes.

From a recipe by Oren Luxemburg

Guest Suzanne F

Greens is greens. Anything you can do with mustard, chard, etc. you can do with beet. They just bring a different flavor (a little more sweet, a lot less cruciferous).

If you have stems too, Elizabeth Schneider has a wonderful chutney-like recipe for them in Vegetables from Aramanth to Zucchini: you simmer garlic, a little sugar, dried chiles, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, a touch of salt, some olive oil, and vinegar in some water for a little while, then add the chopped stems and stew until they're tender. It is a delight, and gives you yet a third treat from the same bunch(es) of beets.

The same book talks about a raw beet salad, with finely grated beets mixed with sliced shallots, cumin seeds, and a vinaigrette with balsamic.

A book I'm working on right now had a risotto with roasted beets and strawberry puree :blush: mixed in. You could just skip the berries and add beets to a regular simple risotto.

Roasted beets in a salad with avocado, toasted walnuts, chopped shallot and either mache or butterhead lettuce. Dress simply with walnut oil and very good sherry, or balsamic, vinegar. Few grinds of black pepper and a sprinkle of good salt.

Also, diced roasted beets tossed with chick peas and diced sweet onion. Light vinaigrette to dress.

I once had the audacity to make a beet cheesecake. It had potential.

There was a recipe in the NYT a while back for roasted beets mixed with a dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar, horseradish, Dijon mustard and creme fraiche, served with fried capers. Beets, creme fraiche and horseradish is a winning combination.

I do beets very simply: roast the beets and peel/slice them (duh), and sauté the greens lightly in a smidge of EVOO with very very old balsamic vinegar. (Mine is thick and sweet, like syrup.) Serve together with toasted pine nuts and goat cheese, and cracked black pepper. Ooh la la.

• 4 years later...

I notice that bunches of beets often mix the big baseball sizes with the smaller handball sizes. I find this annoying. Is there any taste difference?

I find that when I cook them (just wrapped in tin foil and roasted), I run them under the cold water, but the skins aren't coming off easy. Is this because I'm not roasting them long enough, or are their some beets that just require a peeler.