Robuchon disciple opens a French 'bistro' in Tribeca. When I saw the name, I thought, Are they reopening? But did I mean L'Abeille in Paris? Or the Belgian in New York? But I now suspect I was thinking of some place else altogether, with a different name.

Anyhow, now I wonder if I should have gone here instead of Le Coucou last week. I am certainly intrigued by the squab, but red miso + bourbon + dark chocolate seems a bit much? Do we think this qualifies as 'bistronomie'? Maybe for Tribeca [no tablecloths!]? Saito's apparently a 'local affluent resident' who backed Nagae when he needed some place to cook.

I should also admit, the romance of the late 20th century dies hard with me, and ever since Montrachet and Chanterelle closed, I've very much wanted some place in Tribeca that I could romanticise in the present, with perhaps a loftier cuisine than what's available at Frenchette, let alone the Odeon.

'At L’Abeille, he oversees five other chefs, all under the age of 30, who he says shares his ambitions.' Somehow, this detail seemed the most promising.

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Robuchon disciple opens a French 'bistro' in Tribeca. When I saw the name, I thought, Are they reopening? But did I mean L'Abeille in Paris? Or the Belgian in New York? But I now suspect I was thinkin

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

We don’t think this counts as bistronomy.

We also think that menu is mighty short. 

Appears as if they hope everyone will just order the tasting menu, no?

Poached Lobster Marinated with Vanilla Dressing, Nutmeg, Rosemary

Roasted Squab Glazed with Miso, Bourbon Sauce

Rosemary and bourbon sauce are side dishes?

Yes, you're clearly intended to order the tasting menu [and you're clearly supposed to order the squab either way], though I find the white asparagus intriguing. I'm also more interested in the foie gras à la carte than the tasting menu's brûlée version. BTW I was surprised to learn Le Coucou offers a ['surprise'] tasting menu: was that always a thing? I should probably write about it on the appropriate thread.

The wine prices at L'Abeille seem pleasantly reasonable after my hopeless death march through Le Coucou's four-figure banker bait.

I wonder if any of you wound up giving One White Street a shot?

I did dine at Fradei instead of One White last year, and the experience was sufficiently mixed I wondered if I wouldn't have been more satisfied with One White's predictable pleasures. I am, however, notoriously unexciting.