Surprised the pate en croute is more expensive than the foie gras torchon.

Looking at the menus, I would dine a la carte (as it looks like you did), because I'd want the squab and the cheese. You can have cheese with the tasting, but then you pay for it as a supplement which takes the tasting past $200.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Robuchon disciple opens a French 'bistro' in Tribeca. When I saw the name, I thought, Are they reopening? But did I mean L'Abeille in Paris? Or the Belgian in New York? But I now suspect I was thinkin

There are 16 posts there and no, there is a torchon that’s it. Maybe they changed stuff. But should I have to do search to make sense of their prices? 

I am still curious why a pate de campagne merits a $65 supp at Les Trois Chevaux. Captain would have explained that it was “strongly recommended.”

maybe it was in one of their stories but the pate looks like it probably serves two. eta: I just sent you a different picture of it and it’s not as big as I thought.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:20 PM, Sneakeater said:

The foie gras torchon with rhubarb and lavender, while nothing you haven't had before, is Seasonally Correct -- and like everything here, immaculately prepared.

The roast squab is about perfect.  MUCH better, I think, than the somewhat similar -- and more elaborate -- dish at Mena.  (See, I was expecting this to be fussied-up, too.  But it wasn't.  Sure it had a glaze and a sauce -- but it just came across as a particularly succulent roast squab.)

This is very encouraging, especially since I'd worried 'red miso + bourbon + dark chocolate seems a bit much' on the squab.

Which particular subset of the moneyed elect make up the crowd Sneak isn't used to dining with? [BTW I walked by One White Street a couple of weeks ago on my way to Frenchette, and it was very much what I imagine the young banker/lawyer set to look like now. But the young meritocrats were in Frenchette too, albeit slightly hipper ones, or so I fancied.]

On 3/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, Sneakeater said:

Everything comes with choice of either spaghetti marinara or fries and either peas and carrots or a salad. 

my kids would be all over that. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, AaronS said:

maybe it was in one of their stories but the pate looks like it probably serves two. eta: I just sent you a different picture of it and it’s not as big as I thought.

It's not large, but it is terrific and I assume even better if it comes without bits of saran wrap in it.

The pigeon, as mentioned elsewhere was exceptional. 

Actually all the food was excellent both for ingredients and technique, even though I couldn't even make it all the way to the bathroom to throw up at 3am (Of course it could be a virus). This did make me thankful that there was no side of spaghetti, which I was kind of wishing for during dinner.

I feel sort of conflicted but I feel like they'll get their stars and it's not going to get any better and the menu will never change and the guy we know from atelier will greet us and then finish his shift at 9pm forever.