What Has Happened to Food Journalism- Does it Suck?

For those who don't have a subscription to the NY Times (maybe you're lucky?)...this arrived in my email today...

What to Cook Right Now by Sam Sifton.

Now, I had seen the article by Kenji last week, so I was already clued in, and was going to post something about it, but other things got in the way (like sorting out my purchases from the dispensaries in Portland).

So, here's some of Sam's loving prose about Kenji's article...

J. Kenji López-Alt did some solid shoe-leather reporting for The Times last week, exploring the origins of one of America’s greatest sandwiches: the tuna crunch (above).

Shoe-leather reporting? I digress...

For those who’ve been at the tuna-crunch game a long time, Kenji offers coaching for using the chips. “The real trick” he writes, “is to fold them in at the last moment, before spooning it onto the bread, balancing another large handful of chips on top of the tuna, then closing the sandwich with a firm press to embed the chip layer into the salad. This lends the entire sandwich extra structural integrity, maintains that dynamic contrast and allows you to feel and hear the crunch even before your first bite.”

Oh, I hardly knew there was a trick, nor that I needed coaching, in order to add potato chips to a fucking sandwich. And that one ought close a sandwich with a firm press, as opposed to what, a loving touch?  but wait - there's more...

But for those of us who’ve never deployed potato chips like this (and I was one of them!), what Kenji’s reporting provides is a sense of incredible opportunity. A tuna-salad sandwich is already a certified classic recipe. To add chips to one is revelatory. I learned the lesson happily. I’ll never go back.

Never deployed?!?! And now you'll never go back???!!! C'mon, Sam!

Now, I can't just blame Sam for this; after all, it's Kenji who wrote the piece which got Sam all hot and bothered.

I'd almost prefer another piece about how to grill a hamburger (now that summer is coming, of course).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

now, i am upset all over again about how packages of hot dogs and packages of hot dog buns do not contain equal amounts and one pack or the other has leftovers

I still like the articles about restaurants from underrepresented countries. But I think I’ve read almost all I need to about sandwich-making.

given how full of piss and vinegar i am it means a lot that i have more contempt for kenji than anyone else in the food world who has not been accused of/is guilty of criminal behaviour against other

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I have some water I was wondering how to boil.  

Don't tell Kenji - he'll test it 17 different ways. I find heat works.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

For those who don't have a subscription to the NY Times (maybe you're lucky?)...this arrived in my email today...

What to Cook Right Now by Sam Sifton.

Now, I had seen the article by Kenji last week, so I was already clued in, and was going to post something about it, but other things got in the way (like sorting out my purchases from the dispensaries in Portland).

So, here's some of Sam's loving prose about Kenji's article...

Shoe-leather reporting? I digress...

Oh, I hardly knew there was a trick, nor that I needed coaching, in order to add potato chips to a fucking sandwich. And that one ought close a sandwich with a firm press, as opposed to what, a loving touch?  but wait - there's more...

Never deployed?!?! And now you'll never go back???!!! C'mon, Sam!

Now, I can't just blame Sam for this; after all, it's Kenji who wrote the piece which got Sam all hot and bothered.

I'd almost prefer another piece about how to grill a hamburger (now that summer is coming, of course).

wait till these guys hear about croutons in salad

• Like 1

I still like the articles about restaurants from underrepresented countries. But I think I’ve read almost all I need to about sandwich-making.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, splinky said:

wait till these guys hear about croutons in salad

Do you know how many types of bread, and various methodologies, there are for making croutons?

(Just don't ask Kenji).

1 minute ago, joethefoodie said:

Do you know how many types of bread, and various methodologies, there are for making croutons?

(Just don't ask Kenji).

yes, but i waited until i got the patent to mention it. he riff all he wants, i'll get the royalties

given how full of piss and vinegar i am it means a lot that i have more contempt for kenji than anyone else in the food world who has not been accused of/is guilty of criminal behaviour against other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1