What Has Happened to Food Journalism- Does it Suck?

Well, I'm sorry I started it for us all to make fun, as it was obvious they (Sam +) would up and redeem themselves.

To whit:

Good morning. Some days when dark clouds are scudding in my head and I don’t much feel like cooking — even though cooking’s what I’m here to do — I march myself to the store anyway, and buy a package of hot dogs and another of buns. There’s no finer recourse to feeling low: a hot dog party.

Griddle them crisp, toast the buns and serve with whatever toppings or condiments spark joy. For me that’s chopped pickles and jalapeños, crema, a scattering of shredded Cheddar, sometimes spicy coleslaw and queso (or our vegan version). 

Dark clouds? A hot dog party?

HOT DOGS!!

Crema!

I would do this but upset purists by wrapping the dogs in cauliflower thins.

But I probably wouldn’t write about it for the Times

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Well, I'm sorry I started it for us all to make fun, as it was obvious they (Sam +) would up and redeem themselves.

To whit:

Dark clouds? A hot dog party?

HOT DOGS!!

now, i am upset all over again about how packages of hot dogs and packages of hot dog buns do not contain equal amounts and one pack or the other has leftovers

• Like 3

Sometime last year I responded to a poll regarding a recent purchase and was rewarded with a year subscription to a handful of magazines.     I chose Bon Appetit and Food and Wine.    I had been a reader of these some time ago.    Apparently a long time ago.   I was appalled with the dumbed down short attention articles, fast meal approach both had dropped to.   Or, as suggested upthread, how to boil water instruction.

Getting old is trying.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(Of course, if you boil them rather than grilling or frying, you still have to figure out how to get that water going.)

It makes it so hard to cook.

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I used to have huge stacks of Gourmet and some of those others. All gone. Don’t miss them. 

I don't miss mine either (I might still have stacks of Saveur somewhere), but at least there was a decent period of time where it was actually fun to get a new one each month. And they had real writers.