Talk to me about poutine.

Ahhh, squeaky cheese curds.  The joy of my youth.  When we were small we used to go to....

It's one of the joys of my youth too, and sometimes of my adulthood (some would say I am already in my second childhood). My mother grew up in Heuvelton, NY across the street from the McCadam Cheese company, which made, and still does makes, the standard for cheese curd in the US (as well as being a pioneer in aged NY cheddar). McCadam's offices are still in Heuvelton, but their production facilites are now in Chateaugay, NY.

There is currently a dairy in Heuvelton known as the Heritage Cheese Company. It's run by Amish setters and makes cheese curd daily, even twice or thrice daily as demand warrants. This is important, as squeaky cheese mavens know, since CC should be eaten within hours of manufacture for maximum squeak.

The Ten Commandments for cheese curd are:

o Must be eaten as close to the time of manufacture as possible

o Must be eaten from hand at ambient temperature

o Must not be flavored with horseradish, garlic, pizza flavoring, or anything else.

o Must not be melted on poutine

o Must not be deep fried!!!

o Must not be made in Wisconsin

o Ditto California

o Repeat the first rule three times

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm thinking there's no way poutine can be bad --- french fries, cheddar cheese curds, and thick brown gravy. Sounds like one of my favorite college snacks, in fact.   So where's the best place to

That's the strange thing to be proud about.   What was that Wisconsin-themed bar on Grand Street serving cones of cheese curds? I don't hate them, but the resemblance to polystyrene lowers them in t

Guest ailailail

Can't tell you where to get them, but can tell you what to look for:

- crispy blond fries, none of those brown, mushy, greasy attrocities

- thin chicken sauce - thick, gloppy gravy? "RUN LIKE HELL"

- and the pièce, as many have said, nice squeaky cheese curds under and over the sauce.

Now...

That's NOTHING like an Acadian poutine... you'll just have to venture to Acadia to experience one of those (I'm sure Flyfish has...) It's a treat watching some Quebequois drop a jaw over the poutine they've ordered in Bouctouche! :rolleyes:

That's NOTHING like an Acadian poutine... you'll just have to venture to Acadia to experience one of those (I'm sure Flyfish has...)

DON'T... I might start to cry if I think about this... :rolleyes:

We stop at Mapledale Cheese Factory any time we are heading to Toronto or points west, and get a big bag of curds. I expect there are numerous curd-related accidents on the 37 between the 401 and Tweed...

Flyfish

(and no, I have never seen Elvis in Tweed)

Guest ailailail
We stop at Mapledale Cheese Factory any time we are heading to Toronto or points west, and get a big bag of curds...

Don't you ever go to the fromagerie St Albert just about 30 minutes South East of Ottawa? Our summer place is about 15 minutes away and when I was summering there (which I hope to do again once we move back) we were at the factory weekly. Nothing like a bag of still warm, squeaky curds ... My mouth is watering thinking about it! BTW, curds are not popular here at all and very difficult to find.

• 4 years later...

Big story on CBC TV tonight about the growing popularity of poutine in NYC. Please, people, have a care for your arteries. But if you must, please NO poutine with processed cheese slices instead of curds! We even sent down a real French guy for authenticity, although if he keeps eating poutine he won't look like this for long...

And calling it Disco Fries? Sheesh!

Must be something going on. Aside from poutine as such, which I ate at T-poutine, I had disco fries twice in December. At the post-legendary Bill's Bar and Burger, and a better version at Kate's Korner, the veggie place on Avenue B.

My unpublishable evidence of disco fries from a very dark Bill's:

billdiscofriesjpg.jpg

In this case I'm grateful for the low light photo. That's not something I want to see clearly.

I think the only proper way to see that dish is with eyes blurred by alcohol. I appreciate the verism of that photo...

In this case I'm grateful for the low light photo. That's not something I want to see clearly.

I think the only proper way to see that dish is with eyes blurred by alcohol. I appreciate the verism of that photo...

Even Everclear wouldn't get me drunk enough to eat either poutine or disco fries.

Big story on CBC TV tonight about the growing popularity of poutine in NYC. Please, people, have a care for your arteries. But if you must, please NO poutine with processed cheese slices instead of curds! We even sent down a real French guy for authenticity, although if he keeps eating poutine he won't look like this for long...

The thing I am most excited for is the opening of a place called Mile End in Brooklyn, NY.. It's going to be NY's first and only Smoked Meat shop.. My personal favorite version can be found at Montreal's Snowden Deli. But, if this place is good.... I will be one happy camper.

The thing I am most excited for is the opening of a place called Mile End in Brooklyn, NY.. It's going to be NY's first and only Smoked Meat shop.. My personal favorite version can be found at Montreal's Snowden Deli. But, if this place is good.... I will be one happy camper.

On a recent visit a francophone friend mentioned a West Island smoked meat place as being the best - can't remember if it was in Dorval or D-D-O; I'll have to ask him. Snowdon's is on Decarie in Outremont, yes?

I thought it was open, but maybe it was just the usual deal of Time Out publishing photos of the food before it's even available. It's been on my list since I heard about it.