Talk to me about poutine.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm thinking there's no way poutine can be bad --- french fries, cheddar cheese curds, and thick brown gravy. Sounds like one of my favorite college snacks, in fact.   So where's the best place to

That's the strange thing to be proud about.   What was that Wisconsin-themed bar on Grand Street serving cones of cheese curds? I don't hate them, but the resemblance to polystyrene lowers them in t

Isn't poutine just Canadian drunk food?

*Quebecois. Mostly. Though it can still be enjoyed as a meal, not a side dish. Well sometimes as a side dish for two tiny shitty steamed hot dogs.

But its only really good when you are drunk.

The poutine at M. Wells Steakhouse in Long Island City, NY, seems good to this non-expert.

From looking at a Yelp photo, its seems absolutely correct. Though the fries seem more crisp than they need to be.

See? I don't make this stuff up.

I would imagine that M. Wells knows how to put together a poutine.

This is accurate.

Making it more complicated ruins it. Overly crispy fries are a waste, as they will become gross way too quickly. The greasy fat fries stand up to the gravy better. Cheese curds on top of fries, best if curds are still cold. Pour hot gravy over. Simple, kinda(mostly) gross, but thoroughly enjoyable.

• 4 years later...

Now you've done it.

I wish we could claim it, but it's Quebecoise drunk food. Us Anglos like commercial hot dogs grilled on a gas flame from a street cart.

*Quebecois. Mostly. Though it can still be enjoyed as a meal, not a side dish. Well sometimes as a side dish for two tiny shitty steamed hot dogs.

But its only really good when you are drunk.

The poutine at M. Wells Steakhouse in Long Island City, NY, seems good to this non-expert.

From looking at a Yelp photo, its seems absolutely correct. Though the fries seem more crisp than they need to be.

See? I don't make this stuff up.

I would imagine that M. Wells knows how to put together a poutine.

This is accurate.

Making it more complicated ruins it. Overly crispy fries are a waste, as they will become gross way too quickly. The greasy fat fries stand up to the gravy better. Cheese curds on top of fries, best if curds are still cold. Pour hot gravy over. Simple, kinda(mostly) gross, but thoroughly enjoyable.

And even the NY Times discusses who "owns" poutine.

Freedom Fries with Liberty Cheese and Justice Gravy for all... It has to be American. And I have a photo of Frank Sinatra eating Poutine in Hoboken in 1927, so, that also proves it's a Jersey thing.

Chips and gravy, of course, is rightfully claimed by the north of England; where they also have the good sense not to put squeaky cheese on it.

IMG_8893.png

I figured yall would throw some Stilton on those bad boys...