[SEA] Culinary Communion

Just received Culinary Communion's newsletter and they're offering a number of interesting classes this spring, including Greek, Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese and Cajun among others, as well as a Napa wines course that looks interesting.

I signed up for the "Cuisine of Vietnam" class on Monday, March 28 and am thinking about the Napa wines course too. I'd love to take the Mexico mini-series, but I'm not available on Thursdays, besides, the Mexico cooking forum here is much cheaper. :blush:

Jan

**Sorry, forgot to put SEA in the title and can't seem to edit it in!

In case anyone was wondering about whether to give CC a try, I'd encourage you to check 'em out. So far I have done charcuterie (twice, different stuff each time) and canning & preserving, and I've got a private dim sum class scheduled for June. I posted my thoughts here. (Since that post, we've had some of our pancetta on Sunday morning, and again on Tuesday night in pasta... yum.)

Since SeaCrotty (aka Mr Scorched) is boycotting food boards in favor of his own blog these days, I'll direct you there to read his remarks about his recent foie gras class at CC.

~A

I was lucky to get into the Hot and Cold Appetizers class last Thursday. It was part of an ongoing series and I signed up off the guest list at the last minute.

This was my first experience at Culinary Communion and it was just lovely. A nice group of people worked together and made some really tasty apps. Chef Gabe was so friendly, informative and amazingly unflappable with all the cooking chaos going on around him.

Some of the things we made:

Chicken liver pate (one of the best I've ever tasted)

Snapper Seviche

Crab and avocado profiteroles

Serrano ham wrapped dates

Steamed mussels

Wild mushroom strudel

Roasted pumpkin ravioli, brown butter sauce, gorgonzola, greens and chive oil

While most of this was not new territory, these recipies were excellent and I picked up some new techniques and ideas. I really enjoyed the communal meal after all the cooking was done.

I can't wait for the Vietanmese class.

Jan

• 3 months later...
Guest rockdoggydog

Whoops, sorry. Thank you to Reese for giving me her spot when she couldn't attend the dim sum class. It was a fun class with some really creative combinations I'd nto encountered before. I also learned why my mom hates making certain things because it is really labor intensive. One of the highlights was definitely the salmon and pesto pouches, a new flavor combo that really stood out. We also learned how to make shu mai, hum bao, rice noodles, uhm I'm blanking now. The class was great fun and the people all MFers were great too. I look forward to taking lots of classes at CC.

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

argh!

someday i will take their charcuterie class. labor day, however, will not be the day. thanks for the link, anita!

hum bao are my favorite...any chance i could get a PM with tips? :(

Guest rockdoggydog

Darn it, I'm going to be in Oregon doing my annual wine trip. I too like Reese will make it to a charcuterie class someday. This I vow.

Rocky

Oh, man, Jason... you will dig it the most.

Two little bits of helpful info for you guys (or any couple): Try to work on different projects, so your household goes home with hands-on knowledge of more things. And when it comes time to take your 2 pounds' worth of meat, remember (a) that's 4 pounds total for two people (don't shortchange yourself!) and (b) set aside some of your allotment for things that will need to smoke and/or cure (and be picked up later). Of course, it's summer, so you may not do a lot of those long-cure things. It's tempting to take home a lot of the fresh sausage, but that's the easiest stuff to make at home; the cured things are trickier and their ingredients can be harder to source.

Man, I am so jealous. You are gonna have a blast!

~A