Tavern Law opens tonigh.

Rocky

Should be crazy busy.

Six of us went to Tavern Law last night. We arrived around 5:30 and were able to land a table but it was full shortly after. We had a couple of drinks and some nibbles downstairs before moving upstairs to the 'speakeasy' portion of Tavern Law. To me, the upstairs was a much better experience all around. My cocktails downstairs were okay, but nothing out of the ordinary. The nibbles we had were fine, but they didn't match my expectations based on what I've had at Spur. Plus the service was rough. One server for the entire space of around 30 seats. It meant a long time between drinks and food, unfilled water glasses, etc. Upstairs is much less busy, as they limit the number of people who are there at one time. And it didn't appear that they serve food upstairs, at least I didn't see anyone eating. I love that you just tell them what you like and they create something for you. The two drinks that our bartender, Miles, created for me were fantastic and interesting and like nothing I had ever had before.

I pretty much agree with Lauren's assessment of TL, except that I did see them serving food in the upstairs bar--the table behind us was being set up with silverware and plates just before we left. I also wish they had some type of bar snacks/nibbles like the corn/crack nuts at Spur. While you can order food, sometimes you just want a nibble to start off with while enjoying the first round of drinks and deciding which plates to order. I loved the whole speakeasy, deco, '20's theme of the upstairs bar and the cocktails there were very good and creative.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the drinks and food downstairs. If I was up in that area I would stop in but the downstairs would not be a destination place for me. Upstairs was another story. Miles (from Serafina) is really great at making things on the fly. They are doing a Milk & Honey (speakeasy in NYC) style where there is no menu, you need to tell them a base spirit or flavor style that you like. He has various fresh ingredients each day and just mixes something up. I've had others try to do this for me and it is really hard to find the right balance of flavors. Drinks upstairs are $10- $11 each depending on the ingredients he uses. I would say upstairs sits 15 or so.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to continue the thread... Sorry Tsquare I beat you to it.   The Seattle Gourmet Foods at the market (1530 Pike Place; a few shops up from Frank's Produce) went under this week. This is the p

It looks like another Peet's Coffee is opening. This time on Greenlake next to the Subway. I hear their Sumatra is very good, can't wait to try it.

volterra thread elsewhere   that menu made me swoon...exactly the kind of (italian) food i love.

Tavern Law opens tonigh.

Rocky

Should be crazy busy.

Six of us went to Tavern Law last night. We arrived around 5:30 and were able to land a table but it was full shortly after. We had a couple of drinks and some nibbles downstairs before moving upstairs to the 'speakeasy' portion of Tavern Law. To me, the upstairs was a much better experience all around. My cocktails downstairs were okay, but nothing out of the ordinary. The nibbles we had were fine, but they didn't match my expectations based on what I've had at Spur. Plus the service was rough. One server for the entire space of around 30 seats. It meant a long time between drinks and food, unfilled water glasses, etc. Upstairs is much less busy, as they limit the number of people who are there at one time. And it didn't appear that they serve food upstairs, at least I didn't see anyone eating. I love that you just tell them what you like and they create something for you. The two drinks that our bartender, Miles, created for me were fantastic and interesting and like nothing I had ever had before.

I pretty much agree with Lauren's assessment of TL, except that I did see them serving food in the upstairs bar--the table behind us was being set up with silverware and plates just before we left. I also wish they had some type of bar snacks/nibbles like the corn/crack nuts at Spur. While you can order food, sometimes you just want a nibble to start off with while enjoying the first round of drinks and deciding which plates to order. I loved the whole speakeasy, deco, '20's theme of the upstairs bar and the cocktails there were very good and creative.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the drinks and food downstairs. If I was up in that area I would stop in but the downstairs would not be a destination place for me. Upstairs was another story. Miles (from Serafina) is really great at making things on the fly. They are doing a Milk & Honey (speakeasy in NYC) style where there is no menu, you need to tell them a base spirit or flavor style that you like. He has various fresh ingredients each day and just mixes something up. I've had others try to do this for me and it is really hard to find the right balance of flavors. Drinks upstairs are $10- $11 each depending on the ingredients he uses. I would say upstairs sits 15 or so.

I loved my drink (Pike & Pine Flip) downstairs at Tavern Law, and the other one (based around Campari) was pretty good, too, although a bit too heavy on the Campari, fortunately I like Campari... the food was nothing to write home about, and hope that improves. I preferred the *speakeasy* atmosphere of the upstairs though, in fact I loved it up there and totally got into the era they want to transform us to. My drink was really good (another Flip, based on, but different than what I had downstairs).

• 2 weeks later...
Over on CH, I read about Artisinal Brasserie

opening in Bellevue. I'd never even heard about it (the fact that it's Bellevue probably has something to do with that). Does anyone know anything?

It's Terrance Brennan's first (but not last, I would guess) venture outside NYC. The original Artisinal is all about the fromage, and I'm hoping the Bellevue location is as well.

opening in Bellevue. I'd never even heard about it (the fact that it's Bellevue probably has something to do with that). Does anyone know anything?

It's Terrance Brennan's first (but not last, I would guess) venture outside NYC. The original Artisinal is all about the fromage, and I'm hoping the Bellevue location is as well.

It is all about the cheese - they were advertising on Craigslist for a "Chef Fromagier" a few weeks back.

It is all about the cheese - they were advertising on Craigslist for a "Chef Fromagier" a few weeks back.

And they got one... he supposedly started late last week, so I'd give it a month or two before checking it out.

Just ate at Brasserie Artisanal and although there is a bit of polish still needed, the food was excellent. The Tarte Flambé was the best i had outside of Strasbourg. We actually ate the next night at Bastille and got many of the same dishes and Artisanal was substantially better, but it might have just been an off night at Bastille.

Also... until they have their official opening they seem to be giving 20% off the entire bill.