• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to continue the thread... Sorry Tsquare I beat you to it.   The Seattle Gourmet Foods at the market (1530 Pike Place; a few shops up from Frank's Produce) went under this week. This is the p

It looks like another Peet's Coffee is opening. This time on Greenlake next to the Subway. I hear their Sumatra is very good, can't wait to try it.

volterra thread elsewhere   that menu made me swoon...exactly the kind of (italian) food i love.

I guess this is old news, but I heard today that Campagne is no longer. Daisley closed it in February for a remodel and decided to dump the fine dining theme. They're going to open as Marche... from opentable...

Marché serves food inspired by the tradition of French bistros, highlighting seasonal, full-flavored robust food and wines exceptional in value and quality. Rustic and modern, familiar and exotic, elegant and relaxed, at Marche you will be able to share wine and food in a convivial atmosphere. Your curiosity and sense of adventure will be satisfied. Both drinks and provisions are offered with flexibility. A wide array of wines by the glass along with a sumptuous variety of large and small plates is available. Traditionally, a town’s center included its market. It was a place to share the news of the day, discover new things, see and be seen. Expanding this idea, Executive Chef - Owner, and Iron Chef America Challenger, Daisley Gordon, shares his table and his love of great wine and delicious food. Over a glass and a nibble, we plan to connect, converse and celebrate life’s everyday moments and the momentous ones as well.

I guess this is old news, but I heard today that Campagne is no longer. Daisley closed it in February for a remodel and decided to dump the fine dining theme. They're going to open as Marche... from opentable...

Marché serves food inspired by the tradition of French bistros, highlighting seasonal, full-flavored robust food and wines exceptional in value and quality. Rustic and modern, familiar and exotic, elegant and relaxed, at Marche you will be able to share wine and food in a convivial atmosphere. Your curiosity and sense of adventure will be satisfied. Both drinks and provisions are offered with flexibility. A wide array of wines by the glass along with a sumptuous variety of large and small plates is available. Traditionally, a town’s center included its market. It was a place to share the news of the day, discover new things, see and be seen. Expanding this idea, Executive Chef - Owner, and Iron Chef America Challenger, Daisley Gordon, shares his table and his love of great wine and delicious food. Over a glass and a nibble, we plan to connect, converse and celebrate life’s everyday moments and the momentous ones as well.

And don't confuse this with Marche on Bainbridge, also to open soon, under the hand, eye, and taste of Greg Atkinson.

Here's a link to the Eater article, which has some pics.

And don't confuse this with Marche on Bainbridge, also to open soon, under the hand, eye, and taste of Greg Atkinson.

That's the one I'm really looking forward to trying.

I haven't been to Campagne for 15+ years, not since the time the waitress took my order, then returned a few minutes later because she just wanted to make sure I knew what pate was. <_<

Coming in September to Queen Anne: Mezcaleria Oaxaca

Mezcaleria is open and it's delish! The space is really great with a lot of front of the house being given to the bar. Big communal table in the back as well as 2 and 4 tops. Some La Carta menu items are there but lots of new stuff including a smoky goat. and of course a good selections of mezcal.

too bad it's not open for lunch as I see this being insanely busy and doubt I'll get in again for months!

Coming in September to Queen Anne: Mezcaleria Oaxaca

Mezcaleria is open and it's delish! The space is really great with a lot of front of the house being given to the bar. Big communal table in the back as well as 2 and 4 tops. Some La Carta menu items are there but lots of new stuff including a smoky goat. and of course a good selections of mezcal.

too bad it's not open for lunch as I see this being insanely busy and doubt I'll get in again for months!

Oh yay! I was suppose to get invited to the previews. Guess they had plenty of closer friends. (Just an acquaintance.) It took awhile for La Carta to open for lunch - maybe that will happen later as well.

Bad Monkey Bistro in SLU is no more. OK, I know most people have never heard of it. My point in posting about it is, if you can't make a restaurant work in this 'hood, at this point in time, there are serious flaws in your business model.

July also included a first visit to Poquitos on Capitol Hill. It felt like a bit of Mexico as we experienced it last fall. It was great to see Rancho Gordo beans on the menu! The black beans were served a bit dry - the pot liquor would have been welcomed. The watermelon salad was refreshing and delicious. Rellanos - huge and nicely flavored. Tacos - well, I just wanted something light. They were good, the tortillas freshly made, the flavors bright. I would like it better if you could mix and match to try 3 fillings. The rice was lightly flavored with tomato and some herbs (?) and good enough that we imitated it at home twice in the following week. The place is huge and the menu looks like there is plenty to try. Service was excellent.

I had lunch here with two friends from college. One is a vegetarian and one is not a very adventurous eater. This was the perfect place to go. We started with chips, salsa and guacamole. The chips were good, nicely salted. The guac was some of the best I've had. So good that I never tried the salsa! I had tortilla soup, which was fine, nothing spectacular. Could have been warmer. The vegetarian had the yam tacos and she said they were fantastic. The unadventurous one had the chipotle chicken torta and said it was great. The bread was shaped like a hamburger bun and it looked a little dry to me - but I didn't try it.

The space looks exactly like a Mexican Bastille. I look forward to going back when I can try their cocktails.

Afterwards, we walked up to Old School Frozen Custard. We each had a scoop of the flavor of the day: Kahlua chocolate chip. It was good, but not as good as Peak's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cactus - SLU is now open at 350 Terry (in one of the Amazon buildings, same block as TD's places). The neighborhood doesn't really need another place that overcharges and underdelivers, but I suppose it will be a good happy hour option.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried Ba Bar last week. Arrived at 6 and were seated immediately. I've always loved that spot - especially way back when Dan was running Animals Espresso there. They make good use of the room and the bar. There were morning pastries to the right as you walk in the door, so the all day things must be happening. It appears they are baking in-house. West facing windows and setting sun - you might need to wear your shades.

I indulged in a cocktail - I think it was called Gilded Lily? Icy cold in the glass, floating a couple of slices of radish, and a dusting of cinnamon. I liked it and as a lightweight, nursed that one drink all evening. We ordered a broken rice plate and a noodle plate, as well as one appetizer, a duck wrap. It took a long time for any food to come up - like 40 or 50 minutes. On the edge of walking out. First came M's entree, and when he was almost done, mine arrived along with our appetizer. The wrap was an interesting idea, and we did like the tomato/carrot/dill puree that was served on it, but what was in the wrap was indistinguishable. Duck confit? Looked possible. Both entrees were hot enough that we tired of eating before really being full. M's was chilies in the dish, mine was probably the sauce I poured over the noodles (without checking for heat.)

As I expected, the food was flavorful, high quality (for broken rice and rice noodles), and the room was pleasant. The staff was conscious of the bad flow, but pretty helpless to do much. Boss man did step into the line to get food moving, but I still can't understand why it took so long and how the food came out as it did. It's a bit more expensive than similar food - I'd be happier about that if everything was spot on. At 3 or 4 weeks, I guess wating for 3 or 4 months might be a good idea.

SeaGal and my friend visiting from LA and I went to Ba Bar for lunch on Friday. I immediately dubbed it the Vietnamese Cafe Presse. The place was packed at 12:30 and we were seated at the bar while we waited for our table. We each ordered a cocktail and they were all really good. I had the Bizzy Izzy with bourbon, sherry, pineapple syrup and lemon. The asked if we wanted to eat at the bar but told him we weren't in any hurry and we'd rather wait for a table. He was also our server there and took great care of us. He got that we were having a long, leisurely (four hour!) lunch and didn't rush us at all. Of course it helped that we ordered cocktails and wine and multiple courses! We tried a little of everything and liked it all except the dumplings. The mung beans had an odd, pasty consistency. Our favorite was the Pâté Chaud with the fried egg. It was like a large gougere stuffed with sauteed ground pork. The flavor of the pork was perfect. they were out of the pork belly so we ordered the chicken from the rotisserie. It was also very good. There was tons of pho leftover so I took it home. Our server took the extra step to package the noodles and broth separately. Paul had it last night and said it was still really good. The space is so comfortable that I can see myself going there all the time.

Went back for dinner last night. The cocktails and apps were again, fantastic. The Pâté Chaud was again the winner. Unfortunately the mains weren't so good. Both Paul and I ordered rotisserie items. He got the chicken and I got the pork belly. As soon as they set down the chicken I could see it was not going to be as good as we had before. At lunch it was a deep mahogany with shatteringly crisp skin. There was no color to this chicken and the skin was flabby. He didn't eat it. The pork belly was also really soft and didn't have a lot of flavor until it was mixed with the the pepper sauce on the plate. I thought it would have crispy bits from being on the rotisserie. The best thing on the table was the duck confit noodle bowl with egg noodles (ramen). It was really, really good. The place was full but we had to wait only 15 minutes or so for a table. After a while they showed a kung fu movie. Which was fine until it got to the gory sword deaths. Maybe we were supposed to be done eating by then?!

We went back for drinks and a pre-show snack before the Pink Martini concert on Saturday. My cocktails were great (a Boulevardier and a Martinez). The Pâté Chaud is still my favorite thing on the menu, but the lemongrass beef skewers were a close second. We had the dumplings again and this time I kind of liked them. They weren't much different than before, maybe slightly smaller, but I guess just knowing what to expect helped. We also ordered grilled halibut collar which was phenomenal. The cucumber salad was a nice palate cleanser but nothing to write home about.

We were there early and they were a little over half full. By they time we left at 7:45, the place was packed.

July also included a first visit to Poquitos on Capitol Hill. It felt like a bit of Mexico as we experienced it last fall. It was great to see Rancho Gordo beans on the menu! The black beans were served a bit dry - the pot liquor would have been welcomed. The watermelon salad was refreshing and delicious. Rellanos - huge and nicely flavored. Tacos - well, I just wanted something light. They were good, the tortillas freshly made, the flavors bright. I would like it better if you could mix and match to try 3 fillings. The rice was lightly flavored with tomato and some herbs (?) and good enough that we imitated it at home twice in the following week. The place is huge and the menu looks like there is plenty to try. Service was excellent.

I had lunch here with two friends from college. One is a vegetarian and one is not a very adventurous eater. This was the perfect place to go. We started with chips, salsa and guacamole. The chips were good, nicely salted. The guac was some of the best I've had. So good that I never tried the salsa! I had tortilla soup, which was fine, nothing spectacular. Could have been warmer. The vegetarian had the yam tacos and she said they were fantastic. The unadventurous one had the chipotle chicken torta and said it was great. The bread was shaped like a hamburger bun and it looked a little dry to me - but I didn't try it.

The space looks exactly like a Mexican Bastille. I look forward to going back when I can try their cocktails.

Afterwards, we walked up to Old School Frozen Custard. We each had a scoop of the flavor of the day: Kahlua chocolate chip. It was good, but not as good as Peak's.

Had some late night drinks and snacks over the weekend. We were lucky to get a seat at the bar. I had a cocktail called Alabanza, which they describe as a "tequila Manhattan" it was very, very good. Paul and I shared a salad which, believe it or not, was too salty for me! I had two brisket tacos and they packed with lovely juicy meat. It was more than I could eat. The chips were good but the guac wasn't as good as last time. It was fun but the scene felt more Wasabi Bistro (back in the day) than Bastille. There was a bouncer and lots and lots of drunk partiers.