Although slightly afraid (not of the food, the foodies), the 20th works well for me, and I do dig some hotty hotty yummy yummy thai thai. I promise to not be so redundant in person. I don't always talk like a Mamet character, like a Mamet character.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinner on the 22nd rocks. I am up for that. I will have recovered from my four-concerts-in-four-cities-in-four-nights fest by then. What time is this thang going down?

CheeseMonger, don't be afraid of the Denver/Boulder-area foodies. Groovy people (I am channeling the Grateful Dead this evening, apparently). And Mongo is sick of the rest of us, so he'll have someone new to speak to. :rolleyes:

having taken a long look at al's avatar, i vote we NOT have anything to do with chafee county (where is it anyway?)

It's where the thriving metropolis of Buena Vista CO can be found.

I'm dropping in on an aunt and uncle during my upcoming vacation out to Sante Fe and Taos.

Are you taking your cowbell?

And, what's to eat in BV? I go to Crested Butte to sleep on the floor of friends in the summer (after the aborted camping attempt), and always think BV would be a good food stop.... if there was anything worthwhile to eat there. Any recs?

having taken a long look at al's avatar, i vote we NOT have anything to do with chafee county (where is it anyway?)

It's where the thriving metropolis of Buena Vista CO can be found.

I'm dropping in on an aunt and uncle during my upcoming vacation out to Sante Fe and Taos.

Buena Vista's only about 120 or so miles away from Yummy Yummy where it sounds like we'll be meeting. How are you getting to Buena Vista?

Are you taking your cowbell? 

And, what's to eat in BV?  I go to Crested Butte to sleep on the floor of friends in the summer (after the aborted camping attempt), and always think BV would be a good food stop....  if there was anything worthwhile to eat there.  Any recs?

There's a pretty good Mexican restaurant there (the name escapes me at the moment, will edit and add it when I remember), and a stop at Cottonwood Hot Springs is always a good possibility.

rlm -- I couldn't tell if you are out of town for work or if you are truly following some band for four nights of concerts (as a die hard concert goer, this, to me, would not be entirely unheard of for the right band. I will leave you to ponder who that would be in my case :rolleyes: ).

3/22 for dinner works for me. When is Katzenjammy going to chime in and say she's in for 3 or 5 and than back out?!

Mongo -- during the week, we would actually be leaving from Broomfield not Boulder. We can still give you a ride if you meet us.

Mongo -- during the week, we would actually be leaving from Broomfield not Boulder. We can still give you a ride if you meet us.

broomfield, shroomfield (mmmm shroom field...)--i guess we will find a way to cope (or possibly rope in a colleague or two).

okay, this is sounding like a plan:

tuesday, march 22nd, dinner at yummy yummy tasty thai in aurora. time tba. bring your own fire-extinguisher.

in so far:

amy and mr. h

rlm (and mr. rlm?)

fml (plus 1?)

mongo (perhaps alone, perhaps plus 2)

mtdew

it is agreed that i will do all of the ordering, most of the eating, and none of the paying.

cheesemonger, you in or you out? lori? katzenjammy? mikek? thematt? chezhoff? and tinman, i'll miss you most of all! someone let fred know. i don't know, however, if the colestoves will be able to handle the heat level.

if al dented wants to know, we're going for dinner to the applebee's on 28th street in boulder. seriously, al, dump the aged relatives and come hang out with us for an evening.

rlm -- I couldn't tell if you are out of town for work or if you are truly following some band for four nights of concerts (as a die hard concert goer, this, to me, would not be entirely unheard of for the right band. I will leave you to ponder who that would be in my case  :rolleyes: ).

Not following one band, although I am contemplating seeing one band twice (the cities are several hours apart though so it might depend on the car Avis decides to give me when I jump off of the plane). I might stay in Austin for two nights of South By Southwest instead of one, so with over 1,000 bands there that weekend your guess is as good as mine who I will end up seeing.

Edited to add: Regarding the gathering on the 22nd, I might go solo since I'll already be in Aurora. Could try to convince a buddy to come with me, although these days it seems like everyone's got their Weight Watchers book out on the table counting their points. I've been working out every day at 5:00 am...but then I go eat at Frasca. Dammit, dammit, dammit. 20's, come back to me.

Edited by rlm
cheesemonger, you in or you out?

If it's the 22nd, the problem generally is that I can't leave Boulder until at least 6:30/7:00 pm, so I'm reluctant to commit. If I can get someone to cover for me, I can get out earlier, but I can't bet on that.

If I can swing it, I will!

Alright. Fine. You've forced me to join another website forum. Are you happy now?

And I have to learn new names for some of you, besides????

March 22nd at happy happy yummy yummy sounds fun. Do we have to make it a macho, who can eat more chiles, exteme dinig event? Some of us, despite years of training, are still totally wimpy compared to you, Mongo.

I will have to check wid my wife. I don't know if she'll go for this or not.

Hello all youse that I know from that other place.

i say 8 pm at yummy yummy. this will give us a chance to bypass traffic and also will give cheesemonger a wider window of opportunity. or is this too late for you all? i know how you americans like to eat dinner at 3 pm.

fred, finally you come over.

no, we don't have to go crazy with the chilli eating but their food tastes best when cooked to the requisite heat level. perhaps if there's enough of us who want to go mellower we can do one set of spicy dishes and one set of slightly less spicy. however, i don't think this will be a good trip for those who can't handle very much heat at all. the larb at any rate should be ordered at near dangerous levels. we can always counter this with some coconut milk based soup.

a sample possible menu:

beef larb

coconut milk based soup to counter the larb

2 curries (one land based, one marine)

Sample menu idea sounds good (bring on the heat), but starting at 8 PM on a week night??? Eeek. I get up at 5 AM. Maybe I should bring a tent and just camp out in Aurora. :rolleyes: I'll go with whatever time works for everybody else. I'll just have to remind myself to eat something substantial for lunch that day.