It wouldn't be complex. It would merely be me paying $25 of the bill in a form that isn't cash.

so, you're going to donate the entire coupon even if your share comes to less than $25? whatever people want to do--i don't really care. but best to bring cash as well, just in case something goes wrong.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mongo: Have you (or someone else) warned these innocent people about the horde of infidels that is going to descend upon them on Tues next? I think it would be prudent ( to say the least) to give them some advance information. If noone has called or gone in to make some arrangements for what may be 12 or more "guests" I can do it . I live in Aurora so it wouldn"t be a big deal for me. Let me know what you think.

colestove

i'll be calling to make a reservation tomorrow. 12-14 people is still only about 3-4 tables of 4--i'm sure they can handle that many people on a weeknight--it is out of the way and next to a crap motel but they aren't entirely a hole in the wall.

transcript of my conversation with the very american sounding dude who picked up the phone when i called to make the reservation:

mongo: i'd like to make a reservation for tuesday night please

dude: at what time?

mongo: 7.30 pm for 14 people

dude: 14 people? (sounding a little incredulous)

mongo: yes, 14 people give or take a couple

dude: okay, 14 people, the name please

(mongo pauses knowing his name is unusual and wonders whether he should give fred's name or make up a more recognizable name for himself such as ezekiah)

mongo: um, mongo

dude: how do you spell that

mongo: m for malaria, o for orgasm, n for napalm, g for gangrene and o for osteoporosis

dude: okay, so m, o, o, x

mongo: no, m.o.n.g.o

dude: ah sorry, m.o.o.g.n.o

dude: doesn't matter, i'll put down table for 14

mongo: did you say 14?

dude: uh, yes?

mongo: right, 14

the upshot: if you're the first to get there ask for the table for 14.

dude: okay, so m, o, o, x

dude: ah sorry, m.o.o.g.n.o

dude: doesn't matter, i'll put down table for 14

mongo: did you say 14?

dude: uh, yes?

mongo: right, 14

the upshot: if you're the first to get there ask for the table for 14.

An auspicious start. He probably thought you were ordering moo goo gai pan.

See you all there tomorrow.

well, that was fun--nice to see everyone again.

we went back almost right away (i think cheesemonger saw us hang a hard u right before the freeway) because we'd forgotten the leftovers. when i went back in there was some high-drama happening in the restaurant. some very sketchy looking young man was in there talking to a guy from the kitchen--as far as i could tell from the profanity laden exchange he might just have been carjacked and was looking for money for busfare. i assumed he knew the other dude. no other customers were there but the regular yummy yummy folks were looking quite shell-shocked. i suppose it is possible i walked in in the middle of a hold-up or something.

well, that was fun--nice to see everyone again.

we went back almost right away (i think cheesemonger saw us hang a hard u right before the freeway) because we'd forgotten the leftovers. when i went back in there was some high-drama happening in the restaurant. some very sketchy looking young man was in there talking to a guy from the kitchen--as far as i could tell from the profanity laden exchange he might just have been carjacked and was looking for money for busfare. i assumed he knew the other dude. no other customers were there but the regular yummy yummy folks were looking quite shell-shocked. i suppose it is possible i walked in in the middle of a hold-up or something.

It was good seeing everyone again and meeting the new folks.

As I was waiting for a break in traffic to pull out of the parking lot, a scruffy young man approached my car, waving his arms; I pressed the switch that locks all my doors, wondering at the same time if I was turning away from somebody in need of help. He shook his head and looked perplexed as I drove off.

transcript of my conversation with the very american sounding dude who picked up the phone when i called to make the reservation:

Mongo--

That would be Pim's husband, a carpet cleaner, who would indeed be incredulous that their wee little restaurant is going to be invaded by a number greater than two.

I *may* be able to come next Tuesday, but I'm not sure. If I can make it, I'll call Pim (or the dude) to let them know that (gasp!!), the number may jump even further.

LM