I'm up for any of the aforementioned items. Enchiladas verdes sound great, as do the chilaquiles and tres leches, but I am totally up for sopa de lima, as that was the original selection.

I'm in the process of making Oaxacan Black Bean Soup for the soup of the fortnight -- it's bean-of-your-choice this time around -- and it reminded me that I haven't made much Mexican food lately(unless Jaymes' microwave chilaquiles count! :lol: )

~A

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in.   (admin note: the threads on Project #4 have been merged and since there is not enough room in the title for the full names, here they are):   Pescado a la Veracruzana & Coctel de C

unfortunately, the picture of my fish a la cristina has disappeared (for some reason i had it on my old comcast account) and so compelling visual evidence in her favour is no longer available.

• 1 month later...

Mongo, that is a great-looking dish. Now I want to make it, but the huachinangos available in the fish markets right now are all babies, around 250 grams. I want to prepare a big one, around 750g. How big was the one in your picture?

thanks all!

i used cristina's original recipe (adjusted for a 1.5 lb rather than 3 lb fish--i just can't seem to get snappers very much bigger than this one here). this time i did the light flour dusting and fry, and i think this is a necessary step. both for the effect it has on the color and because i think it does wonders for the texture of the final product. i also highly recommend the optional raisins. once again i did not have key limes and instead of two key limes for a 3 lb fish i used 1/2 a regular lime for my 1.5 lb fish. it tasted really good--since i hadn't drowned it in tomato sauce, both the flavor and the texture of the fish came through very nicely. i don't know if baking in the cast iron pan rather than pyrex had a significant effect as well. we devoured the whole fish in one sitting.

served it with steamed rice and grilled asparagus.

• 2 years later...

While eating breakfast today with Jaymes at Rio Verde, before going to look at the wedding cakes, I was instructed that this existed. Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best? Ouch, Jaymes just threw a book at me.

Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best?

You kidding? Mine, of course.

Actually, I don't know. Why don't you try several and let us know. (Then I'll claim whichever is best as mine. ;) )

Now I have to make Cocktail de Camarones. Which of the two recipes is the best?

You kidding? Mine, of course.

Actually, I don't know. Why don't you try several and let us know. (Then I'll claim whichever is best as mine. ;) )

You're kidding? MINE, of course!

:lol:

Okay, how about this? I will make both recipes and then get an unbiased decision. I will feed them to unsuspecting friends and let them vote on the best. I know right now, it will end up being a tie.