Amazing avocado

I picked up an avocado in Citarella's yesterday. There were piles of small, very dark Haas avocados and I managed to find a ripe one to go along with the ceviche I was planning to fix last night. When I cut it open, I was struck by how fragrant it was. It was wonderful--nutty with a hint of spice. I doubt I have ever had a better one in New York. I did not notice where they had been sourced from---must go back and find out.

There is a very odd radio ad being run by the Avocado Board here in California. They go through a litany of things you can do with an avocado including (and this is what struck me as VERY odd), grill it.

Has ANYONE ever GRILLED an avocado??? :rolleyes:

I once dated a young lady whose parents owned a small avodado orchard in California. They sent boxes throughout the summer. Sadly, the parents moved to Colorado, and I had to call the whole thing off.

I once dated a young lady whose parents owned a small avodado orchard in California.  They sent boxes throughout the summer.  Sadly, the parents moved to Colorado, and I had to call the whole thing off.

Hehehehehehehe! Decades ago I was a buyer for a national corporation. One of my suppliers was from Southern California and used to appear periodically with a shopping bag of small albeit fabulous avocados. They were soooooooo good! My husband brings up their sublimity frequently. Does this constitute bribe? :rolleyes:

There is a very odd radio ad being run by the Avocado Board here in California. They go through a litany of things you can do with an avocado including (and this is what struck me as VERY odd), grill it.

Has ANYONE ever GRILLED an avocado???  :rolleyes:

The guy I buy fish from at the Sunday farmers market told me about a recipe for grilled avocado that he says was one of the best recipes he's ever made. The market starts up in three weeks, so I'll ask him about it.

I Googled, and found these:

Grilled Avocado and Tomato Salad with Basil Pesto from Michael Chiarello's Napa Style: "The Tomato Show." (I saw that one. Good stuff.)

Grilled Avocado Corn Salsa (scroll down).

Grilled Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad: also Michael Chiarello.

The October 2003 issue of Chile Pepper magazine features two recipes for grilled avocados.

"Oxfordshire Limited Edition" UK magazine recipe for grilled avocado and crabmeat

Finally, in Larousse Gastronomique, there is a recipe among the 3000+ for Grilled Avocado with Mozzarella.

(There are others, but that's where I stopped.)

The avocado would have to be within the two-day window (my parameters) of perfection, I would think. A too-ripe avocado would be a poor choice to grill, getting mushy and smoky/musty at the same time.