I guess we need this thread as the season promises to be memorable.

Just to stake out one thing, I grew up in Europe and people in Europe, at home or at work, never really had AC because they never needed it. I had no AC growing up or in any apartment I lived in before moving here. This will serve to explain a lot going forwards.

Meantime, wow, I don’t recently remember a sequence of explosive thunderstorms moving so fast through NYC as we saw today. Running around closing and opening windows all day. At least the construct crew drilling the road were driven to shelter (they may be doing something useful but they were mainly annoying me).

896015ED-5E31-4FF0-81A4-4BF32A270655.jpeg

While we've had enough hot days to keep the blueberries from growing, for the most part it's been typical here, including highs in the mid-60s in SF.  The tourists persist in wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Wait there were thunderstorms in New York yesterday?  I think my microclimate escaped them.

This is beyond weird.

When I was a kid, I was fairly annoying - which I'm sure is hard for anyone to grasp.  So I had an uncle - Uncle Julie (he should rest in peace). When I bugged him, he would tell me to go around the corner and see if it's raining...he was onto something!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

My father used to tell annoying children to go and play with the traffic.

Different times.

Oh - I got that too - except it was go play in traffic.  Until one day, when I was probably of kindergarten age, and a police person brought me home - seems I was directing traffic at an intersection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Heh.

My father also used to regularly mime shooting children with his fingers. Funny back then…

Yeah, strangely (or not) we didn't play with guns in my family. We were probably too Jewish.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, joethefoodie said:

When I was a kid, I was fairly annoying - which I'm sure is hard for anyone to grasp.  So I had an uncle - Uncle Julie (he should rest in peace). When I bugged him, he would tell me to go around the corner and see if it's raining...he was onto something!

My Uncle Irving used to say the same thing.

• Like 1

Oh, in a couple of hours it dropped ten degrees. It’s nice now.

I am really conflicted about whether to head out to the water this weekend or hunker down in ice cold libraries and museums.

• 3 weeks later...