Sign in to follow this  
Rail Paul

Cork, Ireland

That soup was great and the cafe had a nice wine list.. The crab sandwich at Hackett's was very nice, as was their beef stew with Guinness.. A bonus is that Hackett's is beyond picturesque.

• Like 2

That soup was great and the cafe had a nice wine list.. The crab sandwich at Hackett's was very nice, as was their beef stew with Guinness.. A bonus is that Hackett's is beyond picturesque.

The crab sandwich at Kalbo's in Skibbereen was great too. What else was it: smoked salmon on a champ cake over those wonderful Thornhill salad greens?

Nearly every place has the sourcing on the menu these days, even the pubs, which makes shopping for excellent ingredients that much easier. Field's Supermarket in Skib remains the best in Cork by far.

Other market vendors of note were West Cork Olives (both Schull and Skib) and the Gubbeen burger at Frankie's (Skib market and now at Hackett's on weekend evenings according to their Facebook page).

As Daisy mentioned, we had a ton of charcuterie from Gubbeen.

They've slowly expanded the Gubbeen product range over the years, with Fingal Ferguson, Giana's son, in charge of the smokehouse, producing everything from bacon (Irish and streaky) and chorizo to a selection of salamis (including venison, which was delicious). The pigs are all reared locally (note the conditions), with a "Piggy Co-op" where you can apply as a farmer/supplier.

Fingal also makes a beautiful range of knives, but at a production rate of 1-2 knives a week, there's a 2 year waiting list.

The farm itself is just up the road behind the cottage I rent, and if I can find the photos I took nearby, I'll post a few. To say it's picturesque is an understatement.