Best Mouthfuls: Chinatown

Had a nice, wandering lunch in Chinatown today. Started at Super Taste on Eldridge. A really good bowl of hand-pulled noodles, broth, bits of oxtail, and green vegetables. My first visit and I will be back. Tried ordering the noodles with beef stew, but it wasn't ready yet. And they were out of both water spinach and pea shoots. Best noodles I've had in Chinatown. Total: $4.50.

Somewhere on E Broadway near Forsythe, a braised beef sandwich on sesame bread for a buck. Simple but good. Nice texture.

And then a stop at 103 E. Broadway Restaurant Inc. for an order of chicken, roast pork, and a fried egg over rice. Includes some vegetables and a bit of that ginger/scallion sauce that's often served with white chicken. Not bad at all. Total: $4.75.

I shared lunch with a friend who's very familiar with Chinatown and has had the Peking duck at Dim Sum Go Go. Verdict--not bad, though likely not a traditional version. Served with steamed buns.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of a messy one this: east side of Broadway is the western boundary. Top boundary is Canal Street heading east, and then make a right into Pike Street down to the river.The bottom boundary is r

At risk of being banned or worse, can we discuss this a bit?

I am confused, dumplings are not a once a year craving.. Dumplings are a part of a healthy and prosperous lifestyle. I find the Prosperity Dumplings are my favorite in Manhattan. Definitely the best o

. . .

I shared lunch with a friend who's very familiar with Chinatown and has had the Peking duck at Dim Sum Go Go. Verdict--not bad, though likely not a traditional version. Served with steamed buns.

I've seen it with steamed buns at one other place in Chinatown -- Fortune Garden, maybe?

Another very nice lunch at Super Taste today. Highlight was the hand-pulled noodles with beef in hot and spicy soup. Great flavor, nicely spiced. Also good were the dumplings. Perhaps 10 or 12 steamed dumplings filled with what appeared to be beef and/or pork and vegetables. Great wrappers. The noodles were $4 or $4.50 and the dumplings $3. Also tried the hand-pulled noodles with beef stew in soup, which was good but lacked the spark of the spicy version.

Also grabbed a menu from Sheng Wang, which looks very similar to the one at Super Taste. I'll have to drop in soon.

Yeah, I loved that spicy beef soup and as I said at lunch, I would have been very happy with the other beef stew soup if the other one hadn't been there for me to compare. The dumplings were a happy discovery and there are lots of other things on the menu that I'd like to try. As Steven pointed out, it's nice that they serve half portions of the pea shoots.

Has anyone ever seen the shaved noodles in NY C-town? Cook holds a football-size lump of dough and whacks at it with a razor, the shards falling directly into the boiling water. We had those in Boston a couple of years ago (I mentioned it either on MF or eG) but have not seen them here.

Yeah, I loved that spicy beef soup and as I said at lunch, I would have been very happy with the other beef stew soup if the other one hadn't been there for me to compare. The dumplings were a happy discovery and there are lots of other things on the menu that I'd like to try. As Steven pointed out, it's nice that they serve half portions of the pea shoots.

Yeah, a half portion of pea shoots for $3 seems like a deal.

And does anyone know what peanut butter noodles are? $1.50, so I'm guessing they might be something like sesame noodles but with peanut butter instead? I dunno. Apparently at least a couple places on Eldridge offer 'em.

Suzanne, I've never seen shaved noodles in NY.

Suzanne, this sounds perhaps like what you were asking about.

A smaller window looks into a kitchen where a skinny dude stands next to a fiercely bubbling wok. With utter nonchalance he thrusts his thumb into a tubular roll of dough, points it at the wok, then slashes at it with a stubby knife like Freddie Kruger. A strip flies off into the broth, then another and another. The speed picks up till he's machine-gunning noodles into the broth, methodically working his way around the surface of the cylinder. The nearly translucent noodles are roughly the size of Band-Aids and have faint serrations along the edges. "In addition to wheat, there's got to be some rice flour in there," observes my friend Zak, who knows his noodles.
  • 2 weeks later...

Had dinner with Ali on Monday night in Chinatown. Went to Hop Lee on Mott St. Very good meal. Highlight was a steamed live chicken w/aged ham. Other notable dishes included razor and another type of clam in a black bean sauce, fried oysters, fried halibut, shrimp stuffed peppers. We ate with one of the main seafood purveyors in Chinatown. He mentioned a positive buzz about a new place located at 66 Mott St. Looking forward to checking it out.