Best Mouthfuls: Chinatown

That's it exactly! Yay!! Thank you, thank you.

This place is at 27 Eldridge Street - west side of the street, just south of Canal, downstairs. There are now three hand-pulled noodle places that I know of within a 2 block area...in addition to this one, there is another directly across Eldridge Street, and a third around the corner (previously mentioned) at 28 Forsythe, called Eastern Noodles (which, btw, used to be at 27 Eldridge!!). Eastern is my favorite of the three - the texture of the hand-pulled noodles is amazing...the noodles he uses for his peanut or sesame noodles are not hand-pulled - more like a fettucine style. He also makes some nice dumplings.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of a messy one this: east side of Broadway is the western boundary. Top boundary is Canal Street heading east, and then make a right into Pike Street down to the river.The bottom boundary is r

At risk of being banned or worse, can we discuss this a bit?

I am confused, dumplings are not a once a year craving.. Dumplings are a part of a healthy and prosperous lifestyle. I find the Prosperity Dumplings are my favorite in Manhattan. Definitely the best o

We did indeed have fun. And a good meal, cheap. Actually, because we ordered so much (three noodle soups, plus an order of Fujianese wonton, a dessert, one soda and a bottle of water), the total came to ;) $20 for the three of us.

The peel noodles were my preference over the hand-pulled, because they kept their toothsomeness longer. Our friend's hand-pulled with seafood looked very good and included a couple of whole (head-on) shrimp, several 2-inch-long razor clams, and a few other items, plus some tiny bok choy. My peel noodles with 6(!) fish balls also had the tiny bok choy leaves and chopped preserved vegetable (might have been mustard green?), and a tasty broth was a huge portion. And Paul's hand-pulled with "gigot" had very flavorful small cubes of meat and the same vegs. Wonton were handkerchief-thin dough with a tiny blob of tasty ground meat, maybe some poultry in it? The fish balls were about the size of ping pong balls, and held a surprise. Very good.

The dessert was on the order of mochi -- a skin of gluey rice flour around chopped peanuts, in a very sweet-smelling liquid. The liquid is apparently just for cooking and serving, not eating. Which is just as well, because it smelled sort of like bubble gum. :(

Our friend said this was real comfort food for her, the stuff she grew up on. Paul and I were the only Caucasians there the whole time, but they were very nice to us. Well, why not? We clearly enjoyed it all. And I plan on going back and ordering some of the odder sounding dishes. :( Cattle viscera, anyone?

We had a fun jewish x-mas at Amazing 66. I was with some non-chowish friends so dish selection was

pretty conservative. Highlights were spare ribs, lobster w/lo mein Under Neath (as spelled on menu), Flounder w/pork on top, chicken w/fried garlic and soy sauce. All were quite good. The pork, ginger, green onions and egg sauce under the lobster was exceptional. Couple duds were the salt baked pork cutlets w/chiles and the salt baked squid and scallops.

Looking forward to a return visit w/some more adventurous friends...

• 5 weeks later...

Can we add in New York Supermarket, under the Manhattan Bridge tucked in next to the bridge pylons, to best shopping, with Hong Kong Supermarket? Go through 75 E. Bway shopping arcade to the other side.

It is a wild and wondrous place.

Edit: I see SuzanneF was way ahead of me on this, so I second her motion.

There's a pasta maker near rue Mouffetard (do you all know of that dense and festive shopping street in the 5th Arrondissement? It's a must for making you cheerful on a rare Parisien winter day avec sunshine) who does excellent fluffy light potato gnocchi. And a Chinese traiteur who does excellent boneless pork rib meat laquee. The two make an excellent fusion supper, with a green salad and some toothpick-sized green beans, given a real quick butter-and-garlic saute.

There's a pasta maker near rue Mouffetard (do you all know of that dense and festive shopping street in the 5th Arrondissement? It's a must for making you cheerful on a rare Parisien winter day avec sunshine) who does excellent fluffy light potato gnocchi. And a Chinese traiteur who does excellent boneless pork rib meat laquee. The two make an excellent fusion supper, with a green salad and some toothpick-sized green beans, given a real quick butter-and-garlic saute.

Sounds delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the congee is really good at Congee. Razor clams too, the last time I was there. It's less of a circus atmosphere than Congee Village.

It's confusing though. Congee Village has also opened a branch on the Bowery, which is not the Congee I'm talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like I should have read this thread before I went to Yeah Shanghai Sunday night as I was thinking about ordering the Aster Indicus and didn't. I've had some pretty good meals here in the past, and it was the perfect place for a group of 7 where some had no spice tolerance and limited interest in anything too "exotic" for them. But, overall, this meal was definitely a bit more pedestrian than I would have expected.

We had: both pork and pork/crab soup dumplings. You know what? I think I've decided to give up on soup dumplings until maybe I make it to China. The only ones that have ever wowed me are the ones my parents made once (but those, except for the soup-ness, didn't taste like anything else I've had although they swear they were like the ones they had in Shanghai). Scallion pancake - also not my thing, but Yeah Shanghai's was perfectly crisp and not oily.

Honey pork shoulder - tasty but too sweet as to be expected. Eggplant with meat in pot - this was quite good. I think I've had a different eggplant dish there in the past though that I liked better. Chicken with chestnuts - interesting - chestnuts had a distinctive wine/alcohol flavor but that pretty much dominated over any other flavors. Bean curd sheet w/veggie - just kind of bland and gelatinous. Maybe that's authentic, but I think I've had a different bean curd sheet thing there in the past that was more flavorful. Our last dish was ordered after someone saw them on another table: blue crab w/rice cake. Very flavorful sauce on the crab, but almost impossible to get at the meat without any way to crack them open.

I'll definitely give Yeah Shanghai another try, but I was kind of disappointed. The eggplant and the crab were the only real stand-outs. On the other hand, we sat there almost an hour before ordering waiting for some in our group who had the time wrong and they were very gracious about it!

• 10 months later...

Updates for 2008, please.

Here's the current listing:

CHINATOWN

East side of Broadway is the western boundary. Top boundary is Canal Street heading east, and then make a right into Pike Street down to the river.The bottom boundary is roughly where Brooklyn Bridge crashes to earth, and the turn around the top of City Hall Park until you hit Broadway again.

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best all-round Cantonese may be Cantoon Garden. Best roast pork and duck: Big Wong. Best scallion pancakes and soup dumplings: New Green Bo; also Shanghai Café. Best duck noodle soup: New Chao Chow (ask for won tons with it). Best cheap pork dumplings: Fried Dumpling on Mosco St (but consistency variable). Best dim sum: Golden Bridge. Best peking Duck: Peking Duck House. Best $1 sesame pancake (with pork, carrots, cilantro): Prosperity Dumplings.

Hop Lee, especially for steamed live chicken. Oriental Garden for seafood. Super Taste for special noodle soup; also Hong Kong Station (various locations) and Eastern Noodles. Yeah Shanghai for cold diced bean curd skin with steamed, diced "leafy green vegetable" (listed as "Aster Indicus" on the menu). Dim Sum GoGo for beef with preserved ginger, duck dumplings and the pork "burgers". The Malaysia restaurant for duck blood dishes and good Hunan chicken. Yummy Noodle for anything pork. New York Noodletown for softshells, baby roast pig and shrimp won ton soup, oyster and pork casserole and noodle soups. Hong Kong Station also mentioned for soup.

Standing up mouthfuls

Very cheap roast duck in a bun from various street vendors under Manhattan Bridge. Every kind of hot bun you can imagine from the Chatham Restaurant on Chatham Square (look for the red awning). Li Hua for big, inexpensive Korean lunchboxes.

Sweet mouthfuls

Best ice cream: Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. Best bakeries: Fay Da; Century Café. Deli Manjoo is a stall on the corner of Lafayette and Canal: fresh made lemon-custard-filled sponges.

Thirsty mouthfuls

Best dive: Winnie's (beware late evening college crowd karaoke). Best ginger cider: a grocery on Pell Street a few storefronts west of Joe's Shanghai - great for colds.

Best honeydew smoothies: Kong Wah Cake Company aka KW Cafe. Best coffee shop: Mei Lai Wah (also for roast pork buns)

Shopping mouthfuls

New York Supermarkt under the Manhattan Bridge. Deluxe Food market or Hong Kong supermarket for general food shopping. Bayard Meat Market for partridge, black silky chickens, quail, offal, Chinese sausages and wind-dried meats.