• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought a few shad roe at Giuffre's Seafood on Salem St in the North End..sauteed in a little butter...fabulous. Also beautiful swordfish steak, cut to order from a mid size fish.

Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side. Have yet to try any this seas

This is my problem with flounder roe. It’s so bland I always end up wondering why I bothered.

You finally hit on a point that I've always wanted to make...and not just about flounder roe.

Do we really need to eat stuff just because it's not available on a regular basis?

• Like 1

Huh. After removing the sac I soaked the eggs only in cold water, not a brine. Its only fault was mildness, not inducing diarrhea, headache, rhinoconjunctival symptoms, asthma, hypotension, arrhythmia, urticaria, pruritus, flushing, and other conditions in patients with histamine intolerance. I'm grateful to apparently not have that intolerance.

It is not nice, I can assure you.

This is my problem with flounder roe. It’s so bland I always end up wondering why I bothered.

I think we've been down this road before. I actually like delicately-flavored roe. I also like plain grits, and noodles with cottage cheese.

Wreckfish is one of my why-bother scanty seafoodsr. Rarely available not because it's scarce, since it's one of the few non-overfished fish, but because I see it only in the few stores pimping strictly sustainable species. But it's flavorless for me.

I've enjoyed part 1 of the eggsperiment's process. If the remainder is fresh enough by Tuesday, in time for pasta, that'll make it worth the $5/pound.

Rampocalypse, ha. Also: the Invasion of the Fiddleheads.

I asked an expert (google) - for raw shad roe preparation - remove eggs from sacs, refrigerate for a few hours mixed with 10% salt by weight. Wash well in fine colander, then refrigerate again with lemon juice (one lemon per sac) and after a few hours you'll get beautiful blonde caviar.

http://jpc.bergerac.pagesperso-orange.fr/Caviar%20d%27alose.htm

Thanks! I did something similar and will hopefully not die from having eaten it. Soaked the roe sac (eggs unremoved) overnight in 10% brine, rinsed, made the dip - which contains lemon - and chilled for a few hours. It came out a little soupier than I intended, but otherwise pretty good. Also got to put my windowsill oregano to some practical use.

g9th3d9.png

• Like 1