Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side. Have yet to try any this season, but tomorrow may be the day if I manage to score any ramps at the greenmarket.

• Like 2
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought a few shad roe at Giuffre's Seafood on Salem St in the North End..sauteed in a little butter...fabulous. Also beautiful swordfish steak, cut to order from a mid size fish.

Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side. Have yet to try any this seas

Too late to help anyone in NYC, but Savoy had a shad festival recently. We went the last night (Sunday 4/9) and found that they were out of many of the parts we were all interested in, like the roe. :lol: But they kindly gave us small portions of smoked shad -- which worked beautifully, since the strong flavor of the fish is offset by the light smoking), and we could still order the entree of

OAK PLANK ROASTED FILET OF SHAD

bacon rasher, caramelized endive and "coq au vin" sauce

Basically, this was shad served with the traditional elements of coq au vin: bacon, mushrooms, onions, red wine sauce. It worked. And the bitterness of the endive cut through the richness of everything else. Do try this at home.

Lambertville, NJ has an annual Shad Festival--it's May 21 & 22 this year.

We went one year. I am often disappointed by the way shad roe is prepared. I expect it to be much lusher than it turns out to be. Usually too dry and bland in flavor. Does anyone know a place that serves a great version?

We went one year. I am often disappointed by the way shad roe is prepared. I expect it to be much lusher than it turns out to be. Usually too dry and bland in flavor. Does anyone know a place that serves a great version?

I just don't think *any* shad roe is going to be "great." It's just not a great food.

Make it yourself. It's easy.

Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side.

In fact, the proprietor of Gramercy Fish is taking the position that all the sacs he's seeing are too small, and therefore have been illegally harvested: he won't sell them.

I don't know the regulations, just reporting.

I just don't think *any* shad roe is going to be "great." It's just not a great food.

Make it yourself. It's easy.

I have and I didn't care that much for it then either. I complained to the chef. :lol:

I serve a great version. If it is dry, it has been overcooked. You want it just slightly underdone in the center, to get the creaminess. You enhance this with cream and bacon or pork fat, together with onions or shalltos and white wine, and accent the dish with fresh herbs. Eat it this way, and if you still don't like it, then you don't like it.

Many people post they don't like tripe because it's rubbery. It shouldn't be.

By the way, if it does dry out on you, or has been left sitting around - spread it on buttery toast. Maybe a few capers.

I serve a great version. If it is dry, it has been overcooked. You want it just slightly underdone in the center, to get the creaminess. You enhance this with cream and bacon or pork fat, together with onions or shalltos and white wine, and accent the dish with fresh herbs. Eat it this way, and if you still don't like it, then you don't like it.

Many people post they don't like tripe because it's rubbery. It shouldn't be.

By the way, if it does dry out on you, or has been left sitting around - spread it on buttery toast. Maybe a few capers.

I did it that way, on your recommendation, a while back. I liked it fine, what could be bad? But I didn't love it.