• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought a few shad roe at Giuffre's Seafood on Salem St in the North End..sauteed in a little butter...fabulous. Also beautiful swordfish steak, cut to order from a mid size fish.

Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side. Have yet to try any this seas

Had shad roe with spaghetti at Cento Vini yesterday evening. I enjoyed it even more than the far more unctuous, buttery version served at Jack's Oyster House in Albany. This was cooked with olive oil. I recommend going there for some while the short season lasts.

If your appetite can hold until the end of April, the Delaware River Shad Fest in Lambertville NJ might be just the ticket. The two day festival is expected to draw 30,000 people to this tiny hamlet. A veritable orgy of beer and shad, I'm told. Lambertville is across the river from New Hope, PA.

In the meanwhile, it's likely that shad is on the specials list for some of the local places like #8, Lily's, and Anton's Swan

ShadFest

Edited by Rail Paul

I was just paging through the Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock book-The Gift of Southern Cooking. There is an interesting looking recipe for shad stuffed with shad roe. Not that I can make it though, since there's not any shad or roe to be found :blink: .

• 1 month later...

Can shad roe possibly still be in season? I found a heap of the stuff at Sea Breeze on 9th Avenue, $9 a pair. A reasonable price at last.

Cooked up with some maple-cured bacon, ramp leaves, onion and white wine. :P

That's what I would have thought.

Does it make any sense that Sea Breeze would buy it in season, freeze loads, then keep selling it post-season? I didn't think it was that popular. The sacs were not frozen when I bought them.

Big, they were, too.

I sure wouldn't have looked for them.

Maybe they're from the St. Lawrence or some Newfie river or some such. The season definitely moves north from the Carolinas. And it's been reasonably cool, but still.

I've never heard of freezing them.

• 1 year later...

My brother sent me a link to Edible Manhattan's Chefspeak. Peter Hoffman (Savoy and Back Forty) writes about fishing for shad as a youth. Good read.

But it wasn’t until April, after snow melt ended the ski season and I returned to my native Bergen County to work the spring shad season on the Hudson River, that I discovered my deep passion for all the living edible species in the natural world (aka food) by joining the crew of Ron Ingold and Charlie Smith, the last stake net shad fishermen on the Hudson River and probably the world.

Click here.