9lives

Shad and shad roe

Oh, cool. Now I know what to have for dinner on Friday (Paul will be away, and he's not fond of its richness).

ETA: any suggestions of restaurants likely to have it, if I don't feel like cooking?

Grand Central Oyster Bar.

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/the-feed...s/tag/shad-roe/

I note the article dates from 9 February. It might be worth seeing if any of the usual places (GT (Tavern Room)/Savoy/Blue Hill) are serving it now.

Anyone seen it this year? We should be well into the season by now, but it's been so wintry I've hardly thought of it.

I had some at Esca last week (which may not be the kind of information you're asking for, but there it is anyway).

Just received notification that GCOB is expecting the first shad roe of the season today. :)

Oh, great! :D I'm already lined up to have dinner there tomorrow.

Shad roe sauteed in bacon fat last night. Trouble is, now I've had some, I just want some more. Never enough time to get bored with it.

I've only been to the fish monger a few times in the last month but haven't seen it.

What are the prices like compared to previous years?

Something like that. I keep thinking I should try turning them into bottarga, but never getting around to it.

I saw shad roe yesterday at Union Market, but the lobes were very small, and priced at $14.99 per pair (right, not per lb).

That doesn't look promising. Anyone else seen any?