• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought a few shad roe at Giuffre's Seafood on Salem St in the North End..sauteed in a little butter...fabulous. Also beautiful swordfish steak, cut to order from a mid size fish.

Citarella has had the shad fillets and the roe for about a month now. The last time I was there, earlier this week, the roe sacs still seemed a little on the small side. Have yet to try any this seas

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, the fresh roe (from a John Dory) turned out to be so mild that it was barely noticeable amid the potato/olive oil/lemon/pepper. I'll toss the rest with some pasta, but next time I'll try making taramasalata with the jarred, smoked/salted stuff.

9zvXPfh.jpg

aWpOezh.jpg

zGOMTPt.jpg

nvwueXc.jpg

If you do, please be careful to completely remove the roe sac first as it has many blood vessels and John Dory (despite not being an oily fish) can have very high histamine levels. 

Huh. After removing the sac I soaked the eggs only in cold water, not a brine. Its only fault was mildness, not inducing diarrhea, headache, rhinoconjunctival symptoms, asthma, hypotension, arrhythmia, urticaria, pruritus, flushing, and other conditions in patients with histamine intolerance. I'm grateful to apparently not have that intolerance.