• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can be sure of something until your head aches, but it doesn't make it right. Immigration from South and Central America to the UK has been tiny, and indeed in some years negative. Go and have a fish on the relevant sites if you don't believe me. There are small Spanish and Portuguese communities in London, but that's it.

If a cuisine is worth going out and spending money on it will normally be well represented in London.

Why? Let's have a reason. There are zillions of Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants in New York (and other American cities). Few in London. Countless Puerto Rican restaurants in New York, quite a few Cuban, and even the odd Haitian. Are there many in London? Are there any Haitian restaurants in London? Conversely, there are relatively few Indian restaurants in New York. Zillions in London.

Most people will detect some pretty clear reasons for this in terms of demographics and history. Miami, for example, has more and better Latin American restaurants than Birmingham. I suppose you'll find that silly too, but if you have a plausible alternative explanation for such facts, let us know.

OK it may make the shift up from S.America to the States, but that's not so far-and what was the question about American palates? :lol:

It's nothing to do with mileage. There's a lot of Vietnamese and Moroccan cuisine in Paris. Hmm, I wonder why.

There aren't that many Japanese, as I've said, but there's plenty of Japanese restaurants.

Twenty years ago there were only a handful of Japanese restaurants in London. Do you want to argue that Japanese cuisine was crap twenty years ago but has become world class since?

There aren't that many Japanese, as I've said, but there's plenty of Japanese restaurants.

Twenty years ago there were only a handful of Japanese restaurants in London. Do you want to argue that Japanese cuisine was crap twenty years ago but has become world class since?

Japanese cuisine has developed a worldwide reputation and renown in the last 20 years. If S. American cuisine does that over the next twenty years-fine. But to do so it will have to begin to appeal all the people who go out and spend money in expensive restaurants on a regular basis. You can't judge a cuisine's international standing by how many of the natives eat it, either in situ or abroad.. I know loads of Jews who eat Jewish food all the time. They love it. Sometimes I love it. It doesn't stop it being crap cuisine by the standard we're talking about.

Instead of pointlessly arguing with me that the quality of the cuisines are equal you should ask yourself why Thai, Japanese, Indian, Moroccan, now Vietnamese etc, have become cuisines of world wide renown, while S. American cuisine remains of local and demographic interest only.

Wilfred, it isn't ONLY disposable income that counts. That was one of the factors I listed. Its multi culturalism and a willingness to take an interest in other cuisines. The Germans lack that.

Instead of pointlessly arguing with me that the quality of the cuisines are equal

Where did I do that? Have you been taking debating lessons from Plotz?

you should ask yourself why Thai, Japanese, Indian, Moroccan, now Vietnamese etc, have become cuisines of world wide renown, while S. American cuisine remains of local and demographic interest only.

One should also ask why those cuisines only acquired great reputations recently, and whether the factors that hindered their widespread acceptance might not be relevant to South American cuisine now.

Japanese cuisine has developed a worldwide reputation and renown in the last 20 years. If S. American cuisine does that over the next twenty years-fine. But to do so it will have to begin to appeal all the people who go out and spend money in expensive restaurants on a regular basis.

In London, right? Nowhere else counts?

Instead of pointlessly arguing with me that the quality of the cuisines are equal...

In your head. Someone said earlier in the thread, and no-one disagreed, that there are cuisines of limited interest out there.

crap cuisine

Lovely phrase. Is that what you mutter when offered a choice of mozequa or bobo?

....you should ask yourself why Thai, Japanese, Indian, Moroccan, now Vietnamese etc, have become cuisines of world wide renown, while S. American cuisine remains of local and demographic interest only.

Hello? It isn't. It's apparently not popular in London. That's not the same thing.

g.s argument, which was made on OA wrt literature is a winning one. If Londoners didn't eat Japanese cuisine 20 years ago (as if the current crap counts), was it unimportant then? not as good as it is now?

edit: the more I think about it, the more absurd it becomes. The affluent population of London as arbiter of cuisine. :lol:

I don't understand what's being said. Is it-S.American cuisine actually is as good as Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai etc. It's just that it hasn't been discovered by enough people yet because of demographics? Is that it?

Because if it is, how do you know? And I don't mean you know because you had a great S. American meal cooked by a terrific cook once. I mean how do you know that this cuisine, or should we say cuisines, have the potential to be as great as the others if only they were better known? What is it about the cuisine that tells you that? You must see something in it, whic could elevate it to the heights of cuisines which combine all the best elements that go towards great eating

When I was first in Thailand, thirty odd years ago. It was easy to see that this was a great cuisine, and that once people had been exposed to it from abroad they would demand it at home on a regular basis. I could list those qualities that made it that way. Maybe someone would like to identify how and why S. American cuisine is going to follow in Thai's footsteps.

When I was first in Thailand, thirty odd years ago. It was easy to see that this was a great cuisine, and that once people had been exposed to it from abroad they would demand it at home on a regular basis. I could list those qualities that made it that way. Maybe someone would like to identify how and why S. American cuisine is going to follow in Thai's footsteps.

Huh? there's only one Thai restaurant in nyc that shows any sign that this can be a great cuisine and very few Thai restaurants overall. Nobody's demanding it on a regular basis and nobody's cooking it at home. Maybe one day it will follow in Latin cuisine's footsteps.

Because if it is, how do you know?

This is shifting the burden of proof (you have been taking lessons from Plotz). Since it was you who first asserted that SA cuisine was nothing but carb laden stodge, it is incumbent upon you to demonstrate that that is so. So far you haven't.

Because if it is, how do you know?

This is shifting the burden of proof (you have been taking lessons from Plotz). Since it was you who first asserted that SA cuisine was nothing but carb laden stodge, it is incumbent upon you to demonstrate that that is so. So far you haven't.

But I can't because all I've had is carb laden stodge (and cerviche). It is you who averring that it is more than that. I'm not asking anyone to "proove" anything. Just asking what it is about the cuisine(s) that identify it as a couple of leagues better than my experience of it so far. Explain its "greatness" to me.

It is going to pretty hard to convince you the cuisine is good if you've never tried any of its better examples. I'd have my doubts about french food if Pierre Victoire was all I'd ever eaten. The best Peruvian food I've had is fish-based, ceviche (love the gynological misspelling by the way) obviously, but also excellent rather bouillabesse like stews. The strength lies basically in the variety and subtlty of the seasoning, which uses a range of chillis very interestingly. I know a lot less about Argentinian or Brazillian food, but I've had some spectacular unfussy meats, certainly butchered and prepared in very distinctive way.

But, in general, what is effectively a market forces argument about the 'ranking' of cuisine seems totally pointless to me. Clearly, the total spent on fast food in London vastly outstrips that spent on fine dining, does that tell us anything about their relative merits??? That is a reduction of your position Tuckerman, I admit, but it is what you seem to be trying to say - 'I've never had any that's good, and other people don't like it, so it must be bad and people who do like it are wrong'. I'm quite willing to accept the first two points in that sentence, but they don't entail the conclusion. Whereas the point is actually that we've had good South American food.....