Tuckerman

South American Cuisine

fried oysters with sweet plantain mash

A dish that Rodriguez makes, though I don't know who originated it. Sublime.

The two best meals we had in Florida were at Norman's and OLA. I might get round to writing them up this weekend.

I do hope so. We loved Norman's but that was a few years ago now.

When we were driving down Market Street yesterday, Squeat Mungry pointed out Destino as being quite a good restaurant. It bills itself as South and Central American food. Chef James Schenk, whose mother is Peruvian, says that the restaurants in Lima truly rival what's going on in Miami, New York, and San Francisco (source: this image, scanned from 7x7 magazine).

Destino: 1815 Market Street, San Francisco.

I wish the website had photos of the place. It looked like a hoppin' joint: the quintessential city bistro.

I wish the website had photos of the place. It looked like a hoppin' joint: the quintessential city bistro.

In the photo of the chef in the 7X7 article, he is standing in the dining room, so you can tell the color of the walls. Quite festive. The two long walls are lined with big mirrors like the one he is standing in front of, which helps make the narrow room feel more spacious. (The tables are pretty close together, but oddly you don't -- at least I don't -- feel cramped once you're seated.) There is a tiny (but well-stocked) bar at the front.

The atmosphere is lively and bustling, and the service is cheerful and attentive. It is a fun place to be. Great music, too (not too loud).

If you go, be sure to get the "Anticuchos da Corazon", grilled skewered beef hearts in aji panca salsa!

Cheers,

Squeat

In yesterday's London Metro newspaper, our mate and restaurant critic Marina (aka Circeplum) reviewed a new Brazilian restaurant-Mocoto:

"Brazilian cuisine-dense, carb and fat-rich, salty, starchy peasanty food"

No change there then <_<

In yesterday's London Metro newspaper, our mate and restaurant critic Marina (aka Circeplum) reviewed a new Brazilian restaurant-Mocoto:

"Brazilian cuisine-dense, carb and fat-rich, salty, starchy peasanty food"

No change there then <_<

Frankly, all that proves is that the one restaurant in question serves food that is "carb and fat-rich" blah blah blah.

As I recall, years ago in a poll questioning favorite cuisines, you were stunned that so many folks answered, "Mexican." You had based your judgement of Mexican cuisine on the only thing you knew about it. And that was the starchy mess served in the so-called "Mexican" restaurants in London.

Seems to me that at some point a smart lad like you might want to extend your research sources a bit.

My colleague just walked in with his lunch for today: a lovely Bahian muqueca de peixe. No carbs, no starch, no stodge at all, and it smells like heaven!

Frankly, all that proves is that the one restaurant in question serves food that is "carb and fat-rich" blah blah blah.

Actually Circe went on to say how the restaurant was trying to get away from the carb laden stodge of typical Brazilian food.

And so it should of course, if it wants to be a hit in London. Which is the point I was making in that ole thread all along. But of course no-one wanted to admit that S. American food was stodge in the first place, so reconsruction was unnecessary <_<

Actually Circe went on to say how the restaurant was trying to get away from the carb laden stodge of typical Brazilian food.

And so it should of course, if it wants to be a hit in London. Which is the point I was making in that ole thread all along. But of course no-one wanted to admit that S. American food was stodge in the first place, so reconsruction was unnecessary :lol:

You know what I think? I think you're just a bugger. And you enjoy this. And you don't believe even half of what you say. So whether or not it has any merit is of no importance to you whatsoever. <_<