The Tin Building, By George (Jean-Georges, That Is)

I paid my first visit to The Tin Building yesterday, about a 2.5 mile round-trip, so a good exercise walk - though I sure wish our lower east side waterfront wasn't so fucking horrendous.

I didn't eat at ay of the restaurants or anything like that - plenty of others have, and will in the days to come...

https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-drink-new-york/tin-building-jean-georges-seaport

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/dining/jean-georges-vongerichten-tin-building-food-hall.html

Sietsema - https://ny.eater.com/2022/8/30/23323065/tin-building-jean-georges-vongerichten-review

There are a few tiny spots along the walk, when you can get right next to the river, and where a decent view may be had...

IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.d02b4f0473a9a7ccd041d7dc99368cd7.jpeg

And there are others where the view isn't exactly great...though the graffiti is pretty damn good...

IMG_7599.thumb.jpeg.b0295e622a90e9cdfabfceec12925b13.jpeg

I'm sure the comparisons to Eataly are apt, though I found it much more multi-culti that Eataly is.  Browsing around the various "markets" is something I could do for hours. I have never seen so many olive oils or vinegars assembled in one place...

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.41438f4311eae236dc947816744f8242.jpeg

And they have this, at least currently...and not just yuzu, but a number of flavors as well as classic...

68375002490__084E9985-F434-414C-81FD-8AD76F4C3FBB.fullsizerender.thumb.jpeg.46a93032fd7da6a3fa532c11d50dcce4.jpeg

So how bad can it be? 

It's gorgeous, and I look forward to many more visits, especially in the dead of winter, when most of the pain in the ass innocent bystanders tourists will be home. I don't know, but does JGV do this kind of thing better than most?

• Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope they pay you when they make A Total Shitshow Of Savings their new slogan.

I paid my first visit to The Tin Building yesterday, about a 2.5 mile round-trip, so a good exercise walk - though I sure wish our lower east side waterfront wasn't so fucking horrendous. I didn'

20 years ago I would walk from 6th Street down to the streets between Houston and Delancey for a really quiet night out. Nobody around. A few peaceful bars open.

Posted Images

Oh right, of course I walked past all this last night to see Adia Victoria, and I wasn’t really focused on any of it, but I did notice how busy the neighborhood was with late night drinking and dining, way beyond anything I remembered. I had been down here in the last two years, but not at night for any reason. It’s crazy popular I see.

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Oh right, of course I walked past all this last night to see Adia Victoria, and I wasn’t really focused on any of it, but I did notice how busy the neighborhood was with late night drinking and dining, way beyond anything I remembered. I had been down here in the last two years, but not at night for any reason. It’s crazy popular I see.

Yes, especially on a gorgeous summer's eve (though most of the crowd are summer's eve douches). Certainly, the shows at Pier 17 draw a nice crowd, and the tourist situation is pretty big at the seaport, on a nice day/night.  You wanna see a crowd? Come to the corner of Ludlow and Canal, say 8 PM, on a Friday night (or any night, for that matter)...my neighborhood has been officially massacred. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's (The Tin) like in mid-January, on a nice, crappy, freezing cold day! If we ever have another nice, crappy, freezing cold day.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

My first law job was near there (there wasn't a Seaport development yet).  And boy did I hit that place HARD.

When I was driving a cab (early - mid 70s), that area was pretty wild to be around, say 4 AM. (Don't get me started on what the Meatpacking district was like at that time).

I remember this well...

image.png.5b8c3a00c0ca76bf8f66cc590949bbc2.png

This, not so much...

image.png.618afb47f2d16b735cdaf0a163024a0e.png

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Yes, especially on a gorgeous summer's eve (though most of the crowd are summer's eve douches). Certainly, the shows at Pier 17 draw a nice crowd, and the tourist situation is pretty big at the seaport, on a nice day/night.  You wanna see a crowd? Come to the corner of Ludlow and Canal, say 8 PM, on a Friday night (or any night, for that matter)...my neighborhood has been officially massacred. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's (The Tin) like in mid-January, on a nice, crappy, freezing cold day! If we ever have another nice, crappy, freezing cold day.

20 years ago I would walk from 6th Street down to the streets between Houston and Delancey for a really quiet night out. Nobody around. A few peaceful bars open.

• Like 1