So I blame y’all for this. With my cocktail I am right now reading a poetry collection from 2010 by Terrance Hayes (prompted by the interview in the new Paris Review). I am reading it aloud, and although I am not impersonating Hayes I am certainly not reading it in one of my British voices.

Then remembering this conversation I decided to read one of the poems as King Charles (after all these years I can mimic Charles). The result was quite wonderfully absurd (“I can record the rumors and raucous rhythms” - the letter “r” strangles Charlie).

So thanks for this silliness.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a casual wine bar. The wine menu was revisionist and included some wonderful choices in the $1,500+ range. The food was cooked by someone who doesn't know how to make rillettes. The rillette

I must have told this story before. Lost once in the vast outdoor space of Fira Barcelona, I saw a guy sucking up leaves and asked, in Spanish, where my Sala was. He answered briskly in Catalan. Seein

I would certainly welcome more talking about restaurants or whatever or even New Jersey food.

I must have told this story before. Lost once in the vast outdoor space of Fira Barcelona, I saw a guy sucking up leaves and asked, in Spanish, where my Sala was. He answered briskly in Catalan. Seeing me confused he solicitously inquired, “Ah, Castellano?”

No, I said, Espanol de Nueva York 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I wonder if French people sitting in a café in Paris discussing movies switch to an American accent when saying something like, "ma comédie musicale préférée est Singing in the Rain."

Or they could say Les Parapluies de Cherbourg.

I should ask my daughter whether she ever heard lisping taught in her Spanish classes at school. My guess would be no. We worked hard at keeping her out of Spanish classes because what a waste of time, sometimes successfully.