19 hours ago, voyager said:

I am reminded of my Italian teacher who on first day of class told us that in Italy, you are immediately judged when you speak.  Your region and social class are immediately apparent.   She said, "You will not learn a lot in this class but what you will speak will be proper Sienese."   

She was absolutely correct.    I didn't learn much.

My first Russian professor in college was French.  She taught us that we had to pronounce unstressed o's like "ah" rather than "oh", lest we sound like peasants. (Seriously, that was essentially how she put it.) So the phrase "I speak Russian" would come out as "Ya gah-vahr-yoo pah-rooski", rather than "Yah goh-vohr-yoo po-rooski".

The actual-from-Russia prof we got later didn't correct us.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to a casual wine bar. The wine menu was revisionist and included some wonderful choices in the $1,500+ range. The food was cooked by someone who doesn't know how to make rillettes. The rillette

I must have told this story before. Lost once in the vast outdoor space of Fira Barcelona, I saw a guy sucking up leaves and asked, in Spanish, where my Sala was. He answered briskly in Catalan. Seein

I would certainly welcome more talking about restaurants or whatever or even New Jersey food.

I should add, re last night, that I had planned to grab something quick and cheap at The Handpulled Noodle but, although their website doesn't say so, they're only takeout/delivery now with no dining in (you can see the empty seating area).

In retrospect, I'm pretty pissed off.  How are you supposed to know this? 

On 9/12/2022 at 5:09 PM, joethefoodie said:

Can you tell me where in Teaneck?

Teaneck road just south of route 4. Teaneck road hot bagels. F&w had them in their best bagels in the country list but I've been going there for 30 years (grew up 2 blocks away). Truly a blessed childhood. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Jin Ramen is a good chain.  But if I'm having ramen on that stretch, I'm gonna go to ROKC.  (I was really in the mood for Xinjiang, though.)

Agreed! I believe there are three or four Jin Ramens now and all are good. The original on 125th is still tops

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 9:27 PM, voyager said:

My Spanish teacher was Castilian.   They lisp.

We were just in Madrid and with the recent lisping discussion in mind I had to fight very hard to keep a straight face when a local colleague told us that his son, having just secured his pilot license, is taking his first solo flight from Madriz to Baiyyyyadolizzz