Oh. One thing that astounds me. Biking etiquette and the lack thereof. There are of course tons of pedestrians in the park and many of them are absolutely clueless. Many, many times, I've seen parents just let their toddlers waddle onto the road where bikes are whipping around at high speed. Some of these bikers are serious and are going very, very fast. Many people will just casually walk into the road without looking, and even though there's a path for pedestrians, lots of people ignore that and walk in the bike lane or the road. Then there are the people and bikers who go against traffic. Instead of walking or riding on the side, they seem to think that the best place to do this is in the middle of the road.

This amazes me too. People cross the Hudson River bike path without looking in both directions, and/or they don't bother to wait until they reach a pedestrian crosswalk. Bladers weave back and forth so it's impossible to pass them safely. Bikers zoom past others in narrow no-passing zones.

I'm a pansy too! But I love commuting to work, riding in the parks, and exploring along the Hudson. And I've discovered a surprising number of Manhattan streets with bike lanes.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a month ago, I rode to the PS food co-op and instead of riding back through the park, I decided to take the Seventh Avenue route. Mama mia, I nearly got doored like 750 times.

You'll annoy motorists but you should take up as much of the inside lane as necessary to avoid opening car doors. I think there's an argument for taking up an entire lane anyway -- it forces motorists to take notice of you and to overtake by changing lanes rather than trying to squeeze past.

About a month ago, I rode to the PS food co-op and instead of riding back through the park, I decided to take the Seventh Avenue route. Mama mia, I nearly got doored like 750 times.

You'll annoy motorists but you should take up as much of the inside lane as necessary to avoid opening car doors. I think there's an argument for taking up an entire lane anyway -- it forces motorists to take notice of you and to overtake by changing lanes rather than trying to squeeze past.

I've started to do that and I'm pretty zen about the resulting angry honks. When they do honk, I give a 'and a good day to you too, kind sir!' wave.

On Saturday I rode to Brighton Beach, about ten miles total, on a bike path that runs straight down Ocean Parkway.

Cathy do you know about the website ridethecity.com? It's basically hopstop for bikes, it gives you three routes: safer, safe and direct.

I need some advice!

I went bicycle shopping yesterday. I told the guy what I wanted (step-through, hand brakes, comfortable, fenders, chain guard, enough room for Reisenthel bicycle basket), and he recommended a Norco City Glide Step-Through. I wasn't able to try it because they hadn't yet built the one they had in stock, but will probably go back next week to give it a test ride.

I don't know much about bicycles, but is Norco generally a decent buy? I won't be riding more than 20km a day, 5 days a week, and only for 4-6 months a year, so I don't need anything fancy. The bike is priced at $490, $550 including taxes, and the price includes lifetime yearly tune-ups. I think the US MSRP is $420 (I'm not sure since I can't access Norco's US site, only the Canadian one :angry: ).

I also looked at a Specialized Carmel, but it was $50 more, didn't have fenders or a chain guard, and had 1 hand brake plus coaster brake, and I hate coaster brakes.

They didn't carry Elektra bikes, in which I was also interested except I think most of them have coaster brakes.

Any advice? I was hoping not to pay more than $550 including taxes, so cheaper is better!

I need some advice!

I went bicycle shopping yesterday. I told the guy what I wanted (step-through, hand brakes, comfortable, fenders, chain guard, enough room for Reisenthel bicycle basket), and he recommended a Norco City Glide Step-Through. I wasn't able to try it because they hadn't yet built the one they had in stock, but will probably go back next week to give it a test ride.

I don't know much about bicycles, but is Norco generally a decent buy? I won't be riding more than 20km a day, 5 days a week, and only for 4-6 months a year, so I don't need anything fancy. The bike is priced at $490, $550 including taxes, and the price includes lifetime yearly tune-ups. I think the US MSRP is $420 (I'm not sure since I can't access Norco's US site, only the Canadian one :angry: ).

I also looked at a Specialized Carmel, but it was $50 more, didn't have fenders or a chain guard, and had 1 hand brake plus coaster brake, and I hate coaster brakes.

They didn't carry Elektra bikes, in which I was also interested except I think most of them have coaster brakes.

Any advice? I was hoping not to pay more than $550 including taxes, so cheaper is better!

Norco makes nice mountain bikes. I don't know much about their city bikes but the online reviews make it look like they have decent quality. The City Glide version that I saw online had an aluminum frame which is nice if you are hauling it inside for storage. Shimano roller brakes and drivetrain should work well.

Ride it.

• 2 months later...

A couple weeks ago I did my longest ever ride, 28 miles*. For hard core bikers, this is a short warm up but I'm nothing but a casual rider so I'm quite proud of it. Mostly it was flat, with a few hills, one of them of the "I think I'm going to die" variety.

*done in flip flops :cool: and in 91F humid heat.

• 6 months later...

I had planned to buy a bike last summer, but a long-lasting groin injury put a wrench into those plans.

Today I went to my local bike shop and ordered this baby

trk_wcalp_11_m.jpg

Which is going to look absolutely smashing with the new bike basket I'll be ordering soon.

51Gqjf70r-L._SX385_.jpg

My precious should be between my legs in a couple of weeks!

I had planned to buy a bike last summer, but a long-lasting groin injury put a wrench into those plans.

Today I went to my local bike shop and ordered this baby

trk_wcalp_11_m.jpg

Which is going to look absolutely smashing with the new bike basket I'll be ordering soon.

51Gqjf70r-L._SX385_.jpg

My precious should be between my legs in a couple of weeks!

Very nice.

I added one of these to my quiver last season (a Kona Africabike):

kona-africa-bike-3.jpg

It replaces the Huffy Beach Cruiser as my grocery & mail bike.

• 4 weeks later...

So for the last year, I’ve been riding my bike to work if the following conditions align: roughly over 35F, no precipitation, no snow on the street. This week is the first time I’ve been able to ride all five days! (Of course ten days earlier I bought a 30 day MetroCard.)

For the most part, I am loving my commute and I realize that cycling in a city means sharing the streets but there are a few complaints about pedestrians.

I’m serious, pedestrians are lunatics.

Most often I feel like I’m playing a reverse game of frogger. People have no awareness of their surroundings and this is so dangerous. It’s a daily occurrence for a pedestrian to step into a bike lane without looking. They are effectively stepping onto a busy NYC street – with traffic and bikes going at high speeds – without bothering to see what’s coming at them.

Yesterday on Grand Street, a woman walked into my stopped bike. It was so disconcerting because a) I was in a designated, parking protected bike lane and b) because the woman did not react at all. She didn’t look up at me, she simply walked into my bike and then stepped away like she did this every day.

People ruin everything! (Kidding. Sort of.)