• Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Last night stopped by the Chinese Supermarket. In addition to seafood, i purchased a jar of XO Sauce. They keep the XO Sauce locked up like it is the cornerstone ingredient in the manufacturing of meth. You ask the cashier, she screams out something in Chinese, moments later, two people are inserting a key simultaneously to unlock the sophisticated alarm system. It's all quiet impressive. XO Sauce is one of my favorite Chinese Sauces. It's a little sweet, it has some heat and most of the flavor comes from dried scallops and shrimp,

My favorite use of the XO Sauce is when it is served in a Cantonese Restaurant over those giant steamed oysters. No oysters yesterday, we went with scallops. The dried scallop fresh scallop combo made for a wonderfully intense scallopalooza..

Scallops:

6949130442_2eb2b402ee.jpg

Not so pretty:

7095206657_3bec3c4416.jpg

I added a tiny bit of things to the XO Sauce. I added a bit of shaoshing wine, a little sesame oil, a little chile oil, and some soy and oyster sauce to a pan, to heat up on the stove. I was going to throw this in the steamer but, opted to bake for about 10 minutes.

7095207837_bec920f4af.jpg

In addition to the scallops, Miss K had a huge salmon steak with the left over mashed potatoes from last night.. Rolled it up, stuck two large skewers through it to keep in place, cooked one side on the stove, after flipping tossed in the oven. I made Miss A and I shrimp in the style of scampi. But by the end, Miss K was eating the shrimp and we were eating her salmon. shrimp were tiger shrimp about 20 pcs to a pound.

6949137020_002f5b70f0.jpg

This is the arancini from two nights ago. it was a saffron Carolina rice. On certain days in the local grocery, if you buy 100 dollars worth of groceries, they sell you a 20 pound bag of rice for 2 bucks or something. We have so much damn rice.. i just added an egg and some mozzarella. served with this really bright tomato sauce

7095197925_ab476e2e35.jpg

eggplant parm:

they were selling dried out slices of eggplant in the dollar vegetable discount bin. They looked perfect for eggplant parm.. i still added some salt to them and gave them a couple of hours to sweat out more liquid. Miss K had an eggplant parm sandwich in her lunch bag this morning.

7095201175_e08922e3b6.jpg

Last night was softshell crab pasta for 8. followed by a large pork roast from the pig we split.

Wonderful meal:

7101041629_0fe1e8fcdd.jpg

A lot of garlic was harmed in the making of this film

6954971928_d26c0c944f.jpg

Pork was served medium rare with a kale ceasar salad and roasted cauliflower. a 7lb roast from the Berkshire pig we split with our buddy.

7101046025_33bf44c2a0.jpg

6954976720_a9fac8a171.jpg

6959003614_76fbdd66eb_z.jpg

Sardines, mesclun, heirloom potatoes

The sardines were marinated for a day and a half in lemon juice; then for 12+ hours in olive oil, onion, red chile flakes, parsley, salt and pepper; then topped with breadcrumbs and broiled for 5-6 minutes at 350 F.

7105073543_abf8bd3596_z.jpg

Tajarin with samphire, fried garlic, mint and parsley

A couple of breakfasts this weekend.

Saturday, we had a leftover chicken,spinach w/ garlic, guanciale and a triple cream frittata.

6954956290_3ec5d79df0.jpg

Slice, topped with sriracha:

7101028615_c2e24e58a9.jpg

Yesterday we made pancakes, bacon and eggs in Purgatory.

Being in a lake house, there is not always all the ingredients available and no supermarket to jet off to. I used a jarred tomato sauce for the first time in perhaps 15 years or more. It was pretty tough, there were also a small 12 ounce jar of tomatoes I added, a cup of wine, some garlic, basil, and guanciale. It was pretty good considering the base. Crushed red pepper.

6960022670_6fc4b23081.jpg

The sardines were marinated for a day and a half in lemon juice; then for 12+ hours in olive oil, onion, red chile flakes, parsley, salt and pepper;

:blink: Doesn't that long marination in an acid make them mushy? I normally don't marinate fish in citrus or other acids for more than a half hour or so.

The sardines were marinated for a day and a half in lemon juice; then for 12+ hours in olive oil, onion, red chile flakes, parsley, salt and pepper;

:blink: Doesn't that long marination in an acid make them mushy? I normally don't marinate fish in citrus or other acids for more than a half hour or so.

They were fine. Not mushy at all.

I think what might have helped was that they were relatively intact. I had the fish person at Eataly clean them, gut them and remove their scales. Wasn't a complete fillet as these just had a slit in the side and their insides removed, and they weren't covered in lemon juice either.

A tip of the hat to Dancing Ewe's funky,earthy sheep's milk ricotta;get it while in season;A few meals,and lots of frozen ravioli.Penne with turnip greens,green garlic, aged pecorino and a smear of ricotta,lots of spinach/ricotta ravioli...

A tip of the hat to Dancing Ewe's funky,earthy sheep's milk ricotta;get it while in season;A few meals,and lots of frozen ravioli.Penne with turnip greens,green garlic, aged pecorino and a smear of ricotta,lots of spinach/ricotta ravioli...

We've been eating it with honey for breakfast and I used it with a few asparagus dishes as well. Made a pizza with it + green garlic + asparagus + pecorino that was great. Feel bad for them - seem to have really had a miscommunication with the greenmarket folks about some products they wanted to add. Hope it works out for them.

ETA: A little sad - today was the last of the duck confit I made in the fall.

We've been eating it with honey for breakfast and I used it with a few asparagus dishes as well. Made a pizza with it + green garlic + asparagus + pecorino that was great. Feel bad for them - seem to have really had a miscommunication with the greenmarket folks about some products they wanted to add. Hope it works out for them.

ETA: A little sad - today was the last of the duck confit I made in the fall.

But duck confit is so easy--and it's easy to get duck to use. A hint: if you don't have enough duck fat, add olive oil. You keep it in the fridge, right? so as long as there's fat to cover it, you're fine.

Our dinner tonight: Blue Moon sea trout fillet chunked up and steamed on top of a melange of canned diced tomatoes, roasted Sun Golds (from the freezer), onion, garlic, celery, manzana chile (thanks for the notice, Orik!!), minced cilantro stems, merquén pepper, and sliced green plantain, all over rice. With the usual salad (tarragon vinaigrette) and albariño to drink.

6962354386_4649ba44df_z.jpg

Marinated sardines, semolina bread, tomato and onion salad

6962354532_3918a685f1_z.jpg

Asparagus and morel mushroom salad, homemade mayonnaise, hard cooked wild turkey eggs

7108427999_c2053331c7_z.jpg

Lobster with vanilla-lobster butter, butter-poached French breakfast radishes with mint, sautéed samphire

6962354386_4649ba44df_z.jpg

Marinated sardines, semolina bread, tomato and onion salad

6962354532_3918a685f1_z.jpg

Asparagus and morel mushroom salad, homemade mayonnaise, hard cooked wild turkey eggs

7108427999_c2053331c7_z.jpg

Lobster with vanilla-lobster butter, butter-poached French breakfast radishes with mint, sautéed samphire

I've never heard of samphire before. Is it related to sea beans?